Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Feb 07 7:07pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

A dozen oysters and no recipe !!

Hi guys,
     I wonder if any of you can help. Wilst out today I bought a dozen oysters for £2.88, ( half price in Tescos ). My big problem is that I have no recipes at all for them. Do you have to eat them raw ?, if so what do you eat them with ?, dips ?.
     Can you cook them ?, if so have you got any recipes ?.
     Hope some of you can help.
     Thank you in advance, keep smiling,
        Ady.
         thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Feb 07 7:11pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Re: A dozen oysters and no recipe !!

Ady, seriously, oysters are absolutely NOT something you buy cut price or from Tesco - ever.

oysters are only good when they are super super fresh, these ones are cheap for a reason.

For goodness sake don't eat them!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Feb 07 7:27pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 13 Feb 07 7:34pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Thanks guys,
      Anyone else got some ideas ??
      mrgreen
      Ady.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 13 Feb 07 8:10pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Steamed oysters in the shells are always good.  Don't eat the ones that don't open.  Then dip them in butter or cocktail sauce.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 13 Feb 07 8:42pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I wouldn't eat them raw - but this will probably be ok.

Ingredients
Oysters:

* 24 oyster, freshly opened *
    * 50-75g rice flour * or plain flour

Batter:

* 250g self raising flour
    * Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
    * 125ml beer
    * 1 egg yolk (beaten)

Method

1. Batter:Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the beer and egg yolk. Mix the batter until smooth.
   2. Oysters: Heat the oil fro deep frying to 180°C. Remove the oysters from their shells and pat them dry. Place the flour in a bowl and lightly lightly dust the oysters, shake off any excess flour. Dip the oyster in the batter and coat them, remove them from the batter and deep fry, a few at a time, until golden brown, around 2 minutes. Remove them from the oil and drain and kitchen paper.
   3. To Serve: Serve the oysters as a light main or starter with a rocket salad with basil, tomato, pine nuts and a light pesto dressing (pesto sauce with some olive oil and white wine vinegar) or on a bed of vermicelli noodles tossed with garlic, ginger and soy sauce and served with Thai sweet chilli sauce or as substantial winter main on steamed shredded cabbage and mashed potatoes with a tartar sauce.

* To Open:Place the oyster in your hand with the flat side up and the hinged corner facing towards you. Place an oyster opening knife in the hinged corner and twist it to break the muscle, then carefully lever the shell off. It is a good idea to either wrap the hand holding the oyster in a tea towel or wear a thick kitchen glove.

* I prefer to dust food which is being battered in rice flour as it gives the food a crisp coating.

* You can vary the batter by adding herbs and spices such as roughly hopped basil or coriander or five spice powder.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 13 Feb 07 8:48pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i must admit, cut-price oysters do sound sound a bit scary!!

nevertheless, if you can get fresh ones they need no more than a squeeze of lemon and a drop of tabasco. luv-lee.

el.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 13 Feb 07 9:55pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Dredge in seasoned flour, dip in beaten eggs, dredge in breadcrumbs of your choice, season with S&P, once all oysters are coated, pan fry them in oil and butter, on a medium temp. until golden brown. Serve with your favorite dip and/or fresh lemon juice. I like a mayo based dip with some Tabasco.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 13 Feb 07 10:36pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi guys, check out post number 18 on this thread... it's awesome...

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic. … 73&p=2

But I am with Pete on this, buy the freshest, best oysters you can get or you could be put off for life by eating bad ones..

All the best

Dave

Last edited by DB27 (Tue 13 Feb 07 10:38pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 14 Feb 07 5:43am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Last time I got some cheap oysters, I made steak and oyster pie. For this you really do need cheap oysters, or avery deep wallet.

Ironic really - oysters used to be the food of the poor, and oysters were added to the steak to bulk it out.

There is really only one place to buy cheap oysters - and otger cheap shellfish, and that is from ne f the many oyster stalls on the  Bouzique, which runs along beside the oyster beds in the Basin du Thau on the south coast of France.

Couldn't be fresher or cheaper - and all the stalls offer a "degustation gratuit" so you can try their various wares before you buy.

Even the local pizzarias offer 6 or 12 oysters as a starter smile

Likes (0)