forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 14 Feb 07 6:34am

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Re: A dozen oysters and no recipe !!

Geoff,

you have mentioned earlier that you own a house in the south of France...Is it by any chance in the Languedoc/Roussillon region?

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 14 Feb 07 8:04pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Thanks for all the advice guys !.
   The reason I got them from Tescos is that my local one has a fish counter next to the deli. We have had Salmon and Scallops off it before and they were fine. I might try them on Deb and see if she keels over ! lol
   Keep smilng,
      Ady.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 15 Feb 07 12:29am

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)

ady+deb wrote:

I might try them on Deb and see if she keels over ! lol
   Keep smilng,
      Ady.

Oh poor Deb! wink 

I got food poisoned once and it was nasty!!! puke

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 15 Feb 07 12:53am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hi confuzed,

Yes - in a little village called Faugeres.

Do you know the area?

Or are you by chance the "Confuzed" I know from another forum?

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 15 Feb 07 7:03am

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)

Hi Geoff!

Yes I am very familiar with it-I spent 5 years in Montpellier before I moved to DC.

Miss it very much but lucky enough to have loads of friends there still. So this Christmas we went back on holiday and by the look of it I might even take a little trip back now in March. What this girl will do for some decent food! whistle

I am only a member of this forum but it's probably more "confuzed" people out there... wink

The reason I asked was because you have mentioned little things here and there so I kind of got the feeling that you know that region very well too..Do you often take the trip into the big city? And if you do-were do you like to eat? Any favourite resturants?

Confuzed

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 15 Feb 07 11:58am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hi again confuzed.

Yes - we (there are 7 of us) bought the house about 15 years ago, and we are all there as often as we can. 2 of our number have bought their own house in Faugeres, and now live there permanently.

We let the cottage when we are not using it - have a look at:- http:/www.faugeres.co.uk to see more.

2 of our number publish the guide to the Appelation Controlee Faugeres, and we all co-operate in the wine tastings and visits to the producteurs - we are quite well-known in the area - in fact, one of us i a member of La Commanderie du Faugères - the society for the wine producers. Between us we attend all the local events, and are invited to all the local fetes and festivals. I bring back 3 to 400 bottles of the local wine each year!

We also patronize all the local good restaurants - and I'm seriously considering writing a guide to the local restaurants and regional food - with recipes, of course.

We don't often eat in Montpellier, except when passing through. There are so many good restaurants in the area!

My favourite fine dining restaurant near Montpellier is Le Mimosa at St. Guiraud - its actually run by a British/NZ couple! dine "en terrasse" if you can. The menu is superb and its well worth having there menu gastronomique, and letting them choose the appropriate wines for each course - and then book in to their delightful Ostalariá Cardabela for the night.

The seafood restaurants at Sete and Agde are wonderful - generally all locally caught or gathered - try the Tielle Setoise - a local seafood pie, or the Bourride Sètoise (a version of bouillabasse - and of course start off with 1/2 a dozen huitre de Bouzique smile

Inland, specialities include of course  Cassoulet - especially at Castenaudry, and the Aligot at Auberac. During the bullfighting season, tge Gardians (beef stews) are famed, while in the hunting season, Daube de Sanglier features on the menu. Boule de Picoulat (meatballs of beef, pork, garlic & egg, served with broad beans) is another local dish.

But enough - I could go on, though we shouldn't hijack someone elses thread!

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 15 Feb 07 8:56pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Only kidding confused !.
       I usually test most stuff my self, although if its something pretty harmless we all try it together. Its amazing what my kids will eat, they have even started marking things out of ten !!...I'm sorrounded by critics !
       Keep smiling,
          Ady.

PS Keep going Geoff, my mouth is watering just reading your posts. wink

Likes (0)