forum: Food & Drink
- Member since Fri 17 Nov 06
pan fried sea bass
i need ideas quickly to go with pan fried sea bass
all suggestions welcome thanks!!!!!
- Forum champ
- From Sydney, Australia
- Member since Tue 22 Jun 04
Re: pan fried sea bass
Pan-fried sea bass with sweet potato chips
For the pan-fried sea bass
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
2/3 sea bass, filleted
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the sweet potato chips
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
½ sweet potato, peeled, and cut into chips
1. For the pan-fried sea bass, heat the butter and oil in a small frying pan, and when the butter has begun to foam, add the sea bass fillets, to pan-fry, over a medium heat, for 2-4 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the fillet.
2. Season to taste, then place on a serving plate.
3. For the sweet potato chips:
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok, for deep-frying, over a moderate heat. (CAUTION: Hot oil can be very dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
5. When the oil is hot, add the sweet potato pieces, and fry for 6-8 minutes, or until the chips are a golden colour and are tender and cooked through.
6. Remove the chips from the oil, drain, then place in a pile next to the sea bass fillets, to serve.
Pan-fried sea bass with a three pepper stir-fry
2x200g/7oz fillet of sea bass
1½ tbsp vegetable oil
½ tbsp olive oil
2 red peppers, very neatly and finely sliced
2 yellow peppers, very neatly and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5cm/2in piece of ginger, sliced and cut into fine julienne
1.2 litres/2 pints light chicken stock, hot
1 orange, zest and juice
1 lime, zest and juice
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 red chillies, cut at an angle to form long rings and seeds removed
2 green chillies, cut at an angle to form long rings and seeds removed
2 tbsp fresh coriander finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
a large handful of baby spinach, blanched in boiling water for 1-2 minutes (this is for the fish to sit on in the centre of the plate)
1. Score the fillets of sea bass on the skin side - to prevent the fish from curling when it's pan-fried.
2. In a frying pan, heat the olive and ½ tbsp vegetable oil and place the fish skin side down in the hot oil and leave to fry for a couple of minutes
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a hot wok and add the peppers, and chillies and stir-fry for a minute or two.
4. Check the fish and if the skin is crispy turn the fish over and cook the other side for a couple of minutes.
5. To the peppers and chillies now add the garlic and ginger and stir.
6. Add the chicken stock, the juice of the citrus fruits and allow to bubble.
7. Add the sugar and the citrus zests.
8. Finally add the fresh coriander and it's ready to serve.
9. To serve, place the blanched spinach in the centre of the serving plate and place the fish on top, skin side up. Ladle the peppers and broth over the fish until the broth is at a level with the fish and eat immediately. Garnish the fish with a bit of citrus zest - optional.
Pan Fried Fillet of Seabass with a Warm Orange, Beetroot & Fine Bean Salad, Mustard Dressing
4 x 6oz Pave of Seabass
150g Fine Beans
2 Large Oranges
2 Cooked Beetroots
400g Small New Potatoes
2 Tbsp Oil
4 Sprigs of Chervil
10g Chopped Chives
50g Sea Salt
2 tsp of Whole Grain Mustard
1 tsp of Honey
2 tsp of White Wine Vinegar
6 tbsp of Olive Oil
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and prepare a second bowl of iced water. Place the fine beans into the boiling water for 2 minutes and then immediately refresh them in the iced water to maintain colour. Repeat with the potatoes, boiling until cooked. Peel and segment the oranges removing all pith, then dice the beetroot into a ¾ inch dice. Prepare the dressing by mixing the ingredients in a bowl and seasoning. Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan, add the oil, then place in the seasoned bass fillets, skin side down, add the butter and fry until golden. Turn the bass over and remove from the heat, but leave in pan for 5 minutes and the fillet will cook from the heat of the pan. Take a second frying pan and add the prepared vegetables, place on the heat and season, when up to temperature add the mustard dressing and chopped chives. To serve, place equal amounts of the vegetable salad in the middle of the plates, top with the Fillet of Seabass and garnish with sea salt and chervil.