forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Feb 07 9:58am

woel007

Occupation student
From malaysia
Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

What sauce goes well with pan fried prawn??

i've been trying many kinda sauce for my pan fried prawn but none of it taste well, ... so pelase help me out .. thnks

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Feb 07 12:31pm

mrblack

Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: What sauce goes well with pan fried prawn??

There are loads of sauces that go well with fried prawns.
You could try adding just a little coconut milk; or fresh cream with a touch of tomato paste and a light cheese (flashed under the grill), but surely the very best is just heating the pan with butter and a light olive oil, lemon juice, dill and black pepper and blast them for a few seconds only, turning once. That way you retain the full flavour of the sea and they are absolutely deliceous. Why not chuck a few scallops in first for good measure? I'm salivating just at the mere thought! Good luck cool

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Feb 07 2:58pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Sweet chilli sasuce.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 11 Feb 07 4:03pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I love them best fried in olive oil with a little garlic. And then just a little lemon juice to sprinkle on.
But I also agree with sadie about the sweet chili sauce. It's good on almost anything, too.
Once I had them with lemon butter to dip them in. That was also very good.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 11 Feb 07 5:35pm

KT35

Member since Fri 29 Dec 06

Sweet Chilli .......   I fry the big raw king prawns in a little garlic and then just before I serve them I chuck over half a bottle of sweet chilli sauce.
Serve with Rocket, watercress and some cucumber chunks to take the heat off your tongue.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 12 Feb 07 2:30am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Stir-fried prawns in an aromatic tomato cream sauce 

Ingredients
For the Sauce:
1 tbsp tomato purée
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
¼ tsp chilli powder or to taste
3 tbsp finely chopped green coriander
1 fresh hot green chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
200ml/7¼fl oz tinned coconut milk, well stirred, or single cream
For stir-frying the prawns:
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
10-15 curry leaves
560g/1lb 3¾oz medium-sized prawns, uncooked, peeled, deveined and washed then patted dry

Method
1. Put the tomato purée in a bowl.
2. Add the salt, sugar, garam masala, ground roasted cumin seeds, chilli powder, green coriander, green chilli, lemon juice, and 1 tbsp water. Mix well.
3. Slowly add the coconut milk or cream, mixing as you go. Set aside.
4. Stir-fry the prawns: put the oil in a wok or frying pan and set over highish heat.
5. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop - this takes just a few seconds - put in the garlic and curry leaves.
6. Stir until the garlic turns medium brown and put in the prawns.
7. Stir until the prawns turn opaque most of the way through and put in the sauce.
8. Turn the heat to medium and just heat the sauce through until it begins to simmer. By then the prawns should be completely opaque and cooked through.
9. Turn off the heat.

Fried prawns in ginger sauce with steamed rice

You need:
16 large prawn cutlets
20ml vegetable oil
2 cups long grain rice
2 1/2 cups water

60 mil rice wine vinegar
100 gm brown or palm sugar
125ml water
40ml soy sauce
8 shallots chopped
10cm fresh green ginger, scrubbed and finely chopped or grated
2 limes, juiced
20 gm arrowroot mixed with 30 ml water
1 red chili finely sliced
1/4 cup coriander leaves

Method:
-In a heavy based stainless pot place vinegar, sugar, soy, and water and bring to the boil.
-Add shallots and ginger.
-Cook for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
-Add lime juice and then arrowroot mixture a little at a time while stirring. Keep warm.
-Rinse rice under running cold water till clear. Add to water in a heavy based saucepan.
-Bring to the boil and cover with a tight fitting lid.
-Turn heat down to low and cook for 12 minutes.
-Remove from heat and rest with lid on for 10 minutes.
-Remove lid and fluff with a roasting fork or chopsticks.
-In a Teflon pan on medium heat, add 20 ml vegetable oil, then prawn cutlets, cooking for 1 1/2 minutes either side. Remove from pan.
-Divide rice evenly among four bowls place prawns in bowls.
-Spoon sauce around and scatter with chili slices and coriander.

Rocket Salad with Pan fried Prawns and Sauce Rouille

240 g  Rocket Salad
16 Pieces cleaned Prawns 
5 cloves  peeled Garlic
5 pieces peeled Shallots
50 ml Chardonnay Vinegar
300 ml Olive Oil
1 large Red Capsicum cleaned ,peeled
3 pieces Red Chilli sliced
1 piece cooked Potato peeled and mashed
2 Egg Yolk
8 pieces Yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
100 ml Vegetable Stock
Rosemary, Thyme, Pepper , Salt, Cayenne Pepper
Method:

Sauce Rouille: Take 3 cloves peeled garlic, slice this fine and put it together with the mash potato the red capsicum (Cut in big pieces), sliced chilli, the Vegetable Stock and the Egg yolk in a blender and mix it that it become a fine mousse.Than add slowly 150 ml Olive oil and season with pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Then put it in a bowl and refrigerate.

Dressing: Cut 1 Shallot in Brunoise. Place in a bowl and add the vinegar. Add some rosemary and thyme. Season with pepper and salt and add 100 ml olive oil and stir all together with a Wisk. 

Pan fried Prawns: Head up a pan add some olive oil and place the prawns in the pan. Pan fry the prawns for 2 min. from every side and at least add 2 sliced shallots, rosemary and thyme in the pan and cook it for 2 more minutes.

To Assemble:

Mix the Rocket Salad and the dressing in a bowl and place the marinated salad in the middle on the plate. Place 2 half cherry tomatoes around the salad . Place the 3 prawns around the salad and drizzle the sauce Rouille over the prawns.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 13 Feb 07 1:58pm

Morpion

From centered in France
Member since Wed 03 Jan 07

Hello Woell007,

try the mayonaise recipe I took into "In the kitchen" forum "mayonaise making tips" and don't forget to add the garlic for seafood  thumbsup  .

Cheers,
      Morpion.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Feb 07 9:18pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

this sauce is excellent with prawns, make well in advance as the flavours need time to combine, 4hrs if poss, then just dip the prawns into the sauce at the table.

soy sauce, squeeze of lime, thinly sliced garlic, grated ginger, chopped red chillis.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 16 Feb 07 4:22pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I had forgotten, but my godmother has a wonderfully quick recipe for shrimps or salmon filet etc :

Basically she fries the fish/prawns/whatever and then adds some cointreau and a hint of cream. Seasons with salt and pepper and that's it. (The alcohol and the cream reduce really quickly as you won't be adding lots and lots).

Likes (0)