forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 17 Feb 07 2:39pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Bill Granger's lemon chicken

HELP!  We were watching Bill Granger's programme on the BBC this morning and really fancied his recipe for lemon chicken.  Thinking that all the recipes would be on the website, I didn't write them down.  Needless to say, the recipe is not online.  Was anyone more on the ball than I was and copied it down?  Or does anyone know of a website where I could find it?  I've Googled madly to no avail.  My boyfriend really wants it for dinner so I'd be eternally grateful if someone could spare me a potential domestic when he realises we'll be having cheese on toast instead.  Thanks heaps guys.  xx

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 17 Feb 07 3:25pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

Re: Bill Granger's lemon chicken

Hi Anna

I have the book.

Ingredients: (for 4)

2tbsp plain flour
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
4 x 180g chicken breasts with skin
vegetable oil
1 lemon, cut into wedges
3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
4 tbsps honey
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
80 ml lemon juice
2 tbsp light soy sauce
80 ml chicken stock
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp cornflour, mixed with a little water

I'll write the method too if you want it!

Kaff

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 17 Feb 07 4:20pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

You're a legend!  Thanks so much, saved my skin.  Would you mind posting the method too?  I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, was more interested in drooling over the finished product...   big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 17 Feb 07 4:24pm

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

Mmmm. I'd make this. It's everything I love - tart, tangy and sweet in one. But would have to add heat! mrgreen

Kaff, I'm thinking chicken would be dusted with flour/5 spice, drizzled and browned(?) using veg oil, placed in dish with all other ingredients and baked till it oozes sticky, golden goodness?

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Feb 07 4:33pm

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

Good luck with recipe and putting an end to that craving, Anna!
I'm off to get supplies for a weekend of cooking. I may just have to wing it.  wink

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 17 Feb 07 6:02pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

If I remember correctly he dipped the chicken in the flour and 5-spice, browned it then finished it off in the oven.  The other ingredients were combined in a saucepan and made into a sauce, then poured over the cooked, sliced chicken.  Am I miles off?

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 17 Feb 07 7:25pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

Hi

sorry - my connection collapsed - still iffy.

Basically mix the flour, five spice, salt and pepper, dip the chicken in, shallow fry, drain, then bake for 6 minutes in an oven preheated to 180.

Drain all but 2 tbsp oil from the wok, add ginger and lemon and stirfry for 2 minutes. Add honey, rice wine and lemon juice and cook for 1 minute, then add soy sauce, chicken stock and sugar and simmer for 2 mins. Add the cornflour mix and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Slice each chicken breast into 5/6 pieces and serve with sauce spooned over. Hope this works!!!

Likes (0)