forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Feb 07 6:28pm

Ronnie B

Occupation looking after cute ickle flowers
From slough
Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

tomato sauce!

been making my own tomato sauce 4 pasta ect 4 a few months an i put the usaul stuff like plum toms onions basil oregano salt pepper an garlic into it, tastes okay but i feel it lacks something can anyone suggest other ingriedents to go in or give a whole new recipe 4 a italian tomato would be most greatful cheers from ronnie b big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 15 Feb 07 9:24pm

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

Re: tomato sauce!

I like to add some tomato paste as well, it deepens the flavour.
Have you tried roasting the tomatoes before making your sauce? Slice them in half, drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven for about 30 minutes.  Then transfer to a sauce pan in which you've sautéed a thinly sliced onion and garlic, and season with s & p. Stir, cook for 15 minutes then blend with a hand processor or push trough a sieve. Season with fresh basil.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 15 Feb 07 11:32pm

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

A little red wine vinegar adds some zing! If you have Jamie's Dinners, the tomato sauce in the family tree section is excellent. The basic sauce is great and he suggests lots of variations too. I've tried it with pasta, fish, and prawns and have had rave reviews.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 16 Feb 07 5:45am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

home-made tomato sauce

You need:

12.5kg (25lbs) of ripe tomatoes
60g (2oz) whole cloves
60g (2oz) whole allspice
30g (1oz) cayenne
1 litre (2 pints) vinegar
1.5kg (3lb) sugar
250g (1/2lb) salt
2kg (4lb) onions

Method:
Chop the onions and tomatoes roughly. Place in a large pot or jam pan together with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil, then boil for 4 hours. Sieve the mixture, then pour into sterilised bottles and seal.

Variation:
Substitute some of the tomato with apple - up to 500g. Garlic and/or chillis can also be added to taste, but ensure that the quantity added is substituted by weight for some of the tomato. This is important is order to keep the ratio of vinegar, sugar and fruit at appropriate levels for good keeping.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 16 Feb 07 5:58pm

Ronnie B

Occupation looking after cute ickle flowers
From slough
Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

thanx everybody on that one!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 17 Feb 07 11:46am

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

Hey Ronnie!
You can also add to your sause some green, red or yellow peppers after you have cut them into not too small pieces. Or even grate and add some carrot! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 18 Feb 07 6:20pm

indiechef

From London
Member since Sun 11 Dec 05

i imagine im offending some italian ragu recipies but sometimes i cheat by adding tomatoe ketup to the sauce.

also, a splash of cream or milk gives a brilliant texture

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Feb 07 1:10am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I like to add some heat with either Tabasco or finely chopped, deseeded chillies.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 19 Feb 07 3:59am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

This is a tomato sauce I do thats quick and easy. I usually have this with a sundried tomato and basil pasta thats dried, yes, its dried! LOL!

In a large pot/pan add a big drizzle of olive oil. let it sizzle for a minute. Add a large can of stewed tomatoes. I sometimes add a fresh one to this if its hanging around, diced. Lower the temp to med. Add fresh garlic that's been minced, let it saute away for a few min. Now add a splash of white wine and reduce for a few min. I like to add a sprinkle of sugar to this as I don't like it too acidic. Add your herbs, like fresh Italian parsley, and basil. Stir to combine. I also add a bit of chicken stock if you need to add a little liquid... after you pasta is cooked and just drained, add to your tomato sauce and grate some fresh parmesan into the dish and stir to combine. If you have reduced a little too much, prior to adding your pasta, reserve a bit of the pasta water to add to the final stirring. I dont know if this is really authentic but I think it's a great side dish or a main if you are grilling some chicken or? on the side sliced up. I usually have this with a big salad and/or grilled veggies. Play around with the sauce to your liking. I suggest that when you are happy with the sauce add the herbs at the very end.

Likes (0)