forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 22 Feb 07 2:53pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

Re: Basil

Pesto with chicken...pesto with fish.... hmm ...

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 23 Feb 07 10:14am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

if you find that wild you this will blow your mind Rome. tongue

Pizza using pesto for the sauce and grilled chicken strips on top  with mushrooms and carmelized onions.

pesto doesn't have to be basil and pine nuts.the name  pesto comes from the mortar and pestal it was traditionally made in. Pesto/pestal/pistou/piston.
I play around with different combinations of herbs and nuts if the basil available isn't at its best or if the pine nuts have a bit too much christmas tree flavour.  wink
.In the summertime when i have pots and pots of herbs growing it is ususally a combination of basil sage marjoram oregano rosemary &parsley with almonds.

pistachio sage pesto is a fave combination of mine as well. Great recipe at the following link.
http://www.barillaus.com/Spaghetti_with … Pesto.aspx

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 23 Feb 07 10:14am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#13 Fri 23 Feb 07 4:58pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

Pesto ( italian pron. /'pesto/ , genoese pron. /'pestu/ , contracted past participle of -pestare- "to pound, to crush," in reference to the crushed herbs and garlic in it, from Latin root of pestle) is a sauce that originates in the city of Genoa in the Liguria region of northern Italy (pesto alla genovese).

Pesto has been known, in various forms, since Roman times, and probably was imported from North Africa.

It is commonly used on pasta, soups, crackers, and bread, though its use is not restricted to these as the sauce is highly versatile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesto

Personally I'll stick to using it on my pasta (the original genovese pesto - although I've just discovered the existence of "Pesto alla Siciliana" so I'll probably have a bash at that! big_smile )

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 24 Feb 07 5:45pm

lindachef1

Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

help  help  help  help  help

WHY OH WHY DOES BASIL DIE ON ME SO QUICKLY question  I've tried keeping cut basil in the fridge, as a plant, in a paper bag in thr fridge, somewhere dark, or light, on a window sill in and out of the sun to no avail. Does anyone have an answear? question

lindachef1  sad

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 24 Feb 07 9:21pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I wash mine and dry it and then wrap it in paper towel and then in an open plastic baggie? Or maybe use it asap and only buy what you need, lol! This year I am determined to grow it more sucessfully this year. I think they like sun but not all day. I bought 3 seed varieties this year and in a tape so maybe this will help. The other single packet I forgot i had will go into a container. I think I will but a big strawberry pot this year and do some herbs in there.

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 25 Feb 07 12:42am

lindachef1

Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

Thanks bcrain, I'll try your wash and dry method.....do you keep the plastic in the fridge or open to general kitchen atmosphere question  I must admit, that unless I use the cut leaf or from a plant I generally blitz Basil into a thick paste, add olive or veggie oil and drizzle over the check. 

cool

lindachef1

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 25 Feb 07 3:01am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I keep it in the fridge... or you can always try to put some in water, like cut flowers, along with some other herbs and see if that works to... still working on it, lol! I have bought  some basil in those little plastic containers from the produce section, way over priced, and if you dont use them in a matter of a week, depending on the date of expirery ( sp ) they do turn brown on you. Maybe it's to do with being too cold as well? Someone, anyone, any ideas, lol! I use the wrapping in paper towel method for my other herbs and it seems to last a little longer. I dont buy them, but I believe you can get those plastic baggies that have little holes all round for things to breath if need be. Hope that helps though. hmm

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 27 Feb 07 1:43pm

manzo

From Genoa, Italy
Member since Tue 27 Feb 07

Ruzzier wrote:

I grow my own basil and make pesto but as soon as I put pesto on hot pasta pesto becomes brown, the taste is good but it doesnt look good!!!!!

When you have finished making pesto you have to cover it with olive oil to prevent oxidation...
before putting the pesto on pasta add to it a spoon of the water used to cook pasta and mix

uhm.. my english is quite bad... oh.. don't use big leaves

Last edited by manzo (Tue 27 Feb 07 1:48pm)

Likes (0)