#11 Tue 27 Feb 07 4:21am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Re: Improve my stew!!

DB27 wrote:

My top tip for stew is pearl barley... They go all chewey and pop in your mouth, they add great texture to the dish...

They take about 45 mins on a gentle simmer to cook, so just add them to your stew 45 mins before the end of your cooking time.

Also, for exrta flavour, add a glass of red wine and a dash of Worcestershire sauce...

I have found some brilliant old fashioned mushroom ketchup that gives the stew real depth and flavour, but dont add that and worcestershire sauce because it makes the stew salty...

If you cant find the mushroom ketchup  you could soak some porchini mushrooms and add those plus the soaking water... that adds good flavour too...

Stir in a big handfull of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley just as you are ready to serve for a realy fresh flavour hit...

Dave B

I looooove pearl barley in stew, adds a nice texture. I also add a tiny bit of worcestershire sauce. Never heard of mushroom ketchup before, sounds interesting!!

If I make a thick and chunky beef stew, I put the finished product into a casserole dish and I make cheese and herb scone scrolls to go on the top. Pop in the oven until they are golden. Beautiful!

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 27 Feb 07 7:19am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

This is the mushroom ketchup that I use... I use it for all sorts of things, anything that requires a nice mushroomy "beef-up".

It's made by Geo. Watkins, and you can get hold of it in some Sainsburys stores...

http://www.ketchupworld.com/geowatmusket.html

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 27 Feb 07 10:16pm

Michele C

From Hampshire
Member since Sun 30 Jul 06

Hiya thank you all again. Have my pearl barley, bacon, herbs and beef plus will keep looking out for the ketchup. Cooking tmw with all your ideas. Mx

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 28 Feb 07 2:43pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Let us now how it all turns out for you mate...

Happy eating!

Dave

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 04 Mar 07 2:55pm

Michele C

From Hampshire
Member since Sun 30 Jul 06

Hi All

The stews are going very well. I use marmite instead of vegimite - yes I know but I prefer marmite despite my Oz Cousins trying to convert me!!

Pearl barley is good but the one I brought takes about one and half hours to cook. However it is worth the wait!!

I am not to keen on a lot of meat so have been using a wider range of vegetables specified in some of the receipes which is working well.

However love the bacon with beef. I am a bit of a dumpling addict so any other ideas to chirp them up would be great!!!.

Thank you all again.

Likes (0)