forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 22 Feb 07 7:51am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Save my sage!

I had the exact same thing happen. I read somewhere that if the plant does just die for no reason (ie. not over/under-watering) then it's a fungal or bacterial disease and it's best to lose the plant in the rubbish (not compost or green recycling). The stems will begin to go black and then it's all over. Sage can survive well in pots but occasionally you get a bum plant.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 22 Feb 07 12:10pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

yikes 
I hope that doesn't happen to mine!
I'll avoid watering it for a couple of days, as suggested, to dry the soil out a little.
Fingers crossed!
I've never had a plant that's died for no reason. I've always come to the conclusion that I'M the reason! No matter how much research I do to find out how to take care of the plant, I just don't seem to get it right!
Mind you, I did have a small success once: I managed to grow a little advocado plant from the stone of a fruit I bought to make an advocado cheesecake. The plant grew to about 20cm and then suddenly lost it's leaves and dried up. So upsetting! sad

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 22 Feb 07 6:22pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

When you grow things from seed you always have a high % that die or just dont take so don't think it's you, lol, just have a few going at the same time. Fingers crossed for you. smile

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 23 Feb 07 3:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

THe diseases i read about were ones that had just multiplied on the plant - nothing you can do about it.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 23 Feb 07 5:13pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

Ladies and gentlemen ... we have greenfly!

I guess that might be the problem!

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 10 Mar 07 1:08pm

abeach

Occupation Systems Engineer
From Oldham
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

You can get spray for greenfly. Sage like well drained soil, you prob only need to water twice a week at the most in the winter if you are keeping it indoors. My basil on needs watering once per week at the mo.

Likes (0)