forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 12 Mar 07 8:57pm

Calvyn

Member since Mon 12 Mar 07

Fishy Problem

I have a huge problem on getting my fish fresh from the market.
I live in Malaysia where climates and humidity are not suitable to keep the freshness of fish very long. I do not want to freeze them nor wake up at 6am in the morning (thats when fishermen comes home from the sea) and buy them straight from the seaside. I live in the city by the way, and thats another problem of getting anything fresh, unless u rare them yourself. Thats not going to happen as I am staying in an area not intended for that. Problem, I really want to try fishes such as salmon, trout, bass, cod and loads of other stuff, foreign than what we have here.
They are fresh from the market,but not sushi quality when I bring it back home. Does it effect the texture, flavour and gred if it were to survive a two hour journey home in 28 - 32 degrees C, with a total of 70 - 80 % humidity on the way? How can I deal with that?  help

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Mar 07 8:40am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Fishy Problem

Local fish is better because it hasn't travelled in it's dead state long distances.

When you get fish get some ice in a cool box and take it home in that.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Mar 07 9:26pm

itsdanny

Occupation Web Gimp
From W Yorks
Member since Mon 14 Aug 06

yeah, no ice at 28+ will almost cook it. otherwise listen to the wise white rasbbit

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Mar 07 1:03am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

When you get it home, give it a quick bath in ice cold water with some salt in it, pat it dry and refrigerate...

And as above, transport it home in an iced box, or cooler.

Likes (0)