forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Mar 07 5:56pm

George83

Member since Mon 08 Jan 07

Food when recovering from illness

My grandmother has just come home from hospital following acute lower lobe pneumonia (she suffers from respiratory problems anyway) and I'd like to make some food for her to keep in the freezer so that she and my uncle (who lives with her but is not in the best of health himself) do not have to do much in the way of food prep. I have to travel around 150miles to get it to them, so have to consider this. Things I'm already planning are:
* soup
* stews
* cookies or cake (or both)
Any other ideas much appreciated.
help

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 Mar 07 8:07am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Food when recovering from illness

Make everything portion sized and make sure there are frozen vegies in the freezer too. Perhaps leave heating instuctions. Check out recipes and tips on freezing on www.deliaonline.com

I occasionally do this for my grandma. Pumpkin soup does very well (chop up onions, carrots, celery, pumpkin, sweet potato, normal potato, swedes or any combination and cook for about 20 minutes will the lid on, then add a little liquid (stock) and cook until all soft, puree then add more liquid (milk or stock) until the consistency you like. Pumpkin can drop a lot of liquid. Also, you might know it as butternut squash).

Solid butter cakes do rather well in the freezer, as do muffins (better for serving sizes).

jamie's slow cooked shoulder of lamb (jamie's dinners) does well from frozen

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Mar 07 4:23pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Hi, perhaps you could also make chicken and meat pies and quiches for your
grandparents.  They all freeze very well and are good hearty meals and they would only have to warm up a tin of baked beans if they didn't want to bother with a load of veg.  Sponge puddings also freeze well and could be microwaved or steamed to heat up.  Hope this helps and that your grandmother feels better soon  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Mar 07 4:38pm

George83

Member since Mon 08 Jan 07

Thank you both for your help/advice & kind thoughts ... I've already made a couple of stews, soups, breads, sponge puddings, rice pud and ravioli. Her freezer will be bulging.

smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Mar 07 9:16pm

Calvyn

Member since Mon 12 Mar 07

Spices, spices, spices and spices.
Find a handfull of star anise, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and cinnamon. Chuck into 3 liters of boiling water, add chicken bones about 1 kg or more, boil for 5 minutes. Simmer for 5 to 6 hours, not more. (do not skim,the chicken fat help extract spices oils)
Strain all spices n bones out. Chill and freeze. Portion it out to 500ml per portion.
When u want to serve it,nuke it for d proper amount of time in d microwave(enough to melt it) or thaw it a day before serving in the fridge.
Boil it for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with plain rice or juz add chicken breast to cook with the soup, add peeled whole garlic, peeled whole onion,olio n salt. It might taste a little wierd, that is because you might have not tried it before. There is always a first for everything. If u want max effect, prepare 5 thumb sized ginger, sliced vry thinly if possible, add a cup of honey and half a cup (same cup) of balsamic vinegar and mix properly to coat. Place in an air tight  jar and keep it in the fridge for at least a month(longer better,6 months) and serve with soup and add very little of the mixture,about a tablespoon or two.
There u have a, not only good food but also a type of a mixture of ayurvedic treatment and european treatment.
Amount of portions may vary as you like, but make sure the ratio is correct. Yin and Yang brings out  the tang in in life.
GBU!!!
p.s realy hope u would give it a try. (works when used in long term)

Likes (0)