Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 Mar 07 1:55am

Cinderellacindy

Occupation educator and juggler of children
Member since Wed 15 Nov 06

eggplant

I don't know much about eggplant, how to cook it etc.  Can anyone give me some hints and tips/recipes.  I have some fussy eaters so child friendly dishes would be great!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 Mar 07 11:09am

Ninetta

Member since Tue 14 Nov 06

Re: eggplant

Hi Cindy!

I love eggplants the most when grilled, you can just marinate them (for example with olive oil, garlic and parsley) and then serve with ciabatta or crostini, etc.

A very simple and fast recipe, that I'm sure kids love:
Slice the eggplant in round discs, about 1 cm thick. grill them on a barbecue or in a grillpan, you don't need to oil it. when they have a nice grill pattern, lay them on a clean surface, and put on each of them a slice of prosciutto crudo and some cheese, like mozzarella, parmigano or ricotta. roll it up and stick them on a wooden skewer. you can stick more than one pro skewer, than lay them in a oveproof dish, chop some parsley and garlic and scatter and put in the oven, only for a few minutes to reheat it and melt the cheese.

A more complex recipe but really, really tasty for eggplants is parmigiana.
Jamie has a lovely recipe for it on this homepage, and it's really worth it. I think kids love it too, cause it's made with a tomatoe sauce and lots of parmesan.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 16 Mar 07 10:05pm

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

There is a load of delicious Italian dishes with eggplant (melanzane). Parmigiani Melanzane probably being the best of them. I don't have my own recipe, I always use a cookbook (The Silver Spoon, fantastic book) but this recipe seems very good as well:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/eggplant/r/blr0183.htm

Another great dish is Spaghetti di Norma, I used the same website as a recipe reference:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/vegetab … lr0019.htm

And check this link for even more Italian eggplant recipes

http://italianfood.about.com/library/rec/blr0169.htm

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 17 Mar 07 6:33am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

The one thing you need to remember about eggplant is that it needs to be well cooked to taste good. When it is well cooked it goes all creamy and yumm.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Mar 07 12:14pm

Cinderellacindy

Occupation educator and juggler of children
Member since Wed 15 Nov 06

Thanks so much.  I look forward to trying them out.  Ninetta, the eggplant dish you suggested sounds really nice.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 20 Mar 07 4:08pm

cboerean

From Resita, Romania
Member since Fri 14 Jan 05

Hi Cinderellacindy

Melanzane is the national vegetable of sicilians. The name comes from mela insana = insane apple, funny, isn't it ?  smile
One of the best known recipes is Pasta alla Norma called so in honour of Bellini's opera "Norma". The recipe is quite ellaborate yet simple to do:

400g spaghetti
2 egg-plants
1 can of cherry tomatos
1 bundle fresh basil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 handful of grated parmesan
1/2 handful grated pecorino (absolutely necessary)
3 TS extravergine olive oil
origano
salt, pepper

Cut one egg-plant (do not peel) lenghtwise in 1 cm thick slices, lightly brush with olive oil and grill on both sides. Sprinkle some sea salt and origano and set aside.

Dice the other (do not peel) egg-plant into cubes 1x1 cm, salt and let stand for 30 minutes then drain in cold water.
Saute the onion and diced egg-plant in 2 TS of olive oil. Olive oil will be absorbed by egg-plants but will be released again when soft, so do not over use oil...cook untill melanzane are soft, brown and have a silky texture.
Add canned tomatos, and cook for another 5 minutes. Jutst at the end add the basil leaves (tear them by hand, pls. do not use a knife) parmesan and pecorino. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix in the pasta, toss well.
If the sauce is too thick add some water from the pasta (2-3 TS will do just fine).
When serving ornate plate with the grilled egg-plants cut in stripes and sprinkle some parmesan and 2-3 nice basil leaves. 
If I may recomend a wine, it should definitely be a sicilian Nero d'Avola

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 20 Mar 07 4:12pm

En

Occupation Educator
From Maldives
Member since Tue 20 Mar 07

I like to make an eggplant spread to eat with bread/toast, or to use as a dip for veggies:

Roast pierced eggplant till tender. Scoop out the insides and process together with olive oil, salt, pepper, handful of coriander leaves or parsley, a couple of cloves of garlic, a squueze of lemon and some chopped chillies.

Fab!

En

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 20 Mar 07 6:31pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

We used to cut them into rounds and roast them with meat sauce on top and topped with mozarella cheese. (Kind of like eggplant parmesan.)  We would call them mini pizzas and the kids loved them.  The name eggplant seems to scare kids off.  Sadie is right ablut them being cooked really well.  Hope that helps. smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 20 Mar 07 11:41pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

hey! i heard that here in argentina, some people eats eggplant sliced, dipped in beaten eggs, and finally rolled in bread crumbs, you cook them in the oven and thats it! it's called " milanesa", and there are lots of things you can cook like these, good luck and let me know

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 21 Mar 07 3:33am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Likes (0)