forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:42pm

Lemon_Meringue

From Sydney, Australia
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

How to cook fish?

I really love fish but I never know what type to go for or how to season/cook it.

Any suggestions?? big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 07 2:18pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: How to cook fish?

It all depends on the type of fish.  Something delicate like sole will suit different treatments to a more meaty fish, such as swordfish; got any favourites or things you'd like to try?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 19 Mar 07 7:13am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

With just about any fish you cant go wrong with butter,lemon & parsley, it might be boring but Im not sure I really like overly seasoned & spiced fish with complicated sauces... i love the simplicity of it.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Mar 07 6:35pm

supershedseven

Occupation Bank Official
From Belfast
Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

I always do Fish once per week and find the best thing you can do is fry it for 30 seconds on the skin side, wrap it in Tin foil with butter, Lemon, Sea Salt and Pepper.  Pop in the over for 20 minutes.

A simple butter and lemon sauce or a little bit of sundried tomatoe pesto is wonderful.

Hate to quote certain celeb chef's but the best thing with fish is to "keep it simple"

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Mar 07 11:17pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

Definately! My dad is a pescitarian (sp?) so my mum is always cooking fish... and more often then not she will cook it really simply:

olive oil
S+P
lemon
herbs: thyme/ rosemary/ parsley

and thats it! yesterday we had some lovely pieces of pollock, which i put  in a large roasting tray, drizzled with olive oil, S+P, lemon slices, thyme sprigs and some asparagus, then shook it all together and roasted. delicious!

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 20 Mar 07 10:34pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

MAN SO MANY WAYS........

POACHED,
FRI,
SAUTÉ,
IN A CONFIT,
FRI,
BROIL,
SALT CRUST,
PARCHMENT STEAMING,
STEAMING
ECT

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:26am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Going back tot he first post, it is always cool to consider the texture of the fish you are working with....

Denser fish like Tuna, Swordfish and the such can be treated almost like red meat/steak.  They take well to broiling, and not overcooking, and work with just about any marinade or flavoring you can think of.  I love Tuna steak, grilled on the bbq, with a lemon, ginger soy mixture, then flaked over a salad or zuccinni, eggplant and peppers.

Flakier fish, like sole, cod or halibut, whitefish, can be lightly panfried with butter, lemon and dill, or other herbs and spices.  you can also wrap them in foil and cook them with your favorite flavorings, but it will not take much to overpower the flavor of the fish....

Salmon, is probably the most versatile fish out there.  You can poach it in lemon water, and make a nice hoallndaise or bearnaise for it...BBQ with garlic butter...stuff it with crumbs and mushrooms with onion, I have seen it wrapped in Saran, and thrown into the dishwasher for a cycle stuffed full of herbs and lemon slices.

Thnk of fish as a palatte...that you add flavor ro to enhance, not overpower....

If it is REALLY fishy smelling and tasting..the fish is not fresh...

Likes (0)