Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Mar 07 7:40am

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

How do you know when to....[re: knives]

Ok, how do you know which knife to use for what?! Also, if you can get away with using this knife when normally you would use that knife to do the job. If this made any sense lol]

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Mar 07 6:13pm

christinaL

Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Re: How do you know when to....[re: knives]

It's true -- how do you know which one to use when! I think it's all down to trial and error, comfort, and how well the knife does a particular job.

In my kitchen, I use the big chef's knife for almost everything: squashing and chopping garlic, onions, carrots, cutting steak, etc.

The bread knife if great for (of course) bread and bagels. When I bought mine (which has no slice guide as some bread knives to) the shoplady recommended to use to for cutting tomatoes, and she was right! I works really well on tomatoes, cutting into the skin more easily with its serrated edge.

The paring knife, the small one, I like to use for cheese. While it's temping to chop small foods like garlic with it, it's not as good as the big knife.

Hope this helps!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Mar 07 11:48pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Your right, its a comfort thing.

I use a big knife for dicing, a smaller for slicing, definately a serated for tomato too. I have a special lazer edge serated knife just for tomatoes.

I sometimes use my bread knife for carving the leg of lamb too

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 21 Mar 07 11:55pm

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

I am in the same boat as ChristinaL.

I have alway been a fan of a 7" to 8" Chefs knife, with a nice tall wedge.  This allows a better stroke when cutting, and more leverage for harder things like root vegetables. 

I do have a seperate chef's knife, with the waved blade for cutting meat, as it does not stick to the blade.

I only use a paring knife, if peeling a vegetable or doing decorative stuff, and you must have a nice sharp thin filet knife, if you are going to trim meat, especially removing the silver skin from leaner cuts of meat.  There is no substitute for that.

The last knife you should ensure you have is a nice long 10" ham knife, non serrated for slicing roasts, hams and poultry. 

I 10" serrated is great for delivate breads as well as tough crusted breads and sandwiches.

But again..I 90% of the time use a great 7-8" Chef's knife.  Make sure you get a good steel to keep the edge on.

Likes (0)