Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Mar 07 11:39pm

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Cooking with diabetes

Hi all,

My first post, is going to hopefully be an interesting one. In Canada, it is getting to the point that 10% of people are diagnosed, undiagnosed, or pre diabetic. To me that is an epidemic.  Blame fast food, computers, video games, not enough time to exercise..and all those factors.

I was diagnosed last year, when ut almost killed me.  I spent 2 months in a surgical ward, with plenty of time to think about it all.  When I came home, and had the ability to cook again, I told my wife to get me a Jamie Oliver, a Gordon Ramsey, a Mario Battali and a Emeril LaGasse cookbook. Her jaw dropped, as she thought I would ask for a diabetic recipe book, nutritional and calorie counting books...

As a chef myself, although been in a different industry for about 8 years, I turned my lemons into a fine lemonaid..with Splenda..no sugar..and a trist of raspberry and mint.  I DID get the calorie counter book, and the nutritional information book, and I have begun to replicate as many recipes as possible in all of these books, inclusive of the alcoholic beverages in Jamie's book, and adapt them to a diabetic diet.

There is no such thing as a diet..with diabetes..it is a lifestyle, where you make choices.  I have been able to keep my glucose levels in VERY good shape, and lower my insulin intake, by substitutions of whole grains and flours, Splenda, yellow vegetables and cuts of meat.  And I think I am representing most of the recipes in a grand way.

JAMIE.....THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION..... Jamie makes me want to cook..not bury my head into a bowl of salad.  I am considering starting up a catering company, and meal planning company, that fully works with low carb/sugarless and diabetic menus.

Nice to meet you all.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Mar 07 11:53pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Cooking with diabetes

Glad to see you getting inspired.. I have diabetics in my family & I know that after first being diagnosed they were paniced into eating really healthy stuff for a while but it wears off & they slip back into poor eating habits...

Good luck with your adventure

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:02am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Re: Cooking with diabetes

Yeah..I have luckily had enough fear/trauma to not slip back.  With the candy tha is available, and Splenda in the softdrinks..I miss real fruitjuice the most.

One important thing, is to eat a little bit here and there of the bad thngs, so you do not feel you are missing out and binge.  My daughter will have a cokie or cake, and give me a bite, and I am fine going back to my sugarless 70% cocoa chocolate.

One thing..diabetic chocolate, is DELICIOUS, as it cointains a large amount more cocoa content, and is more of a dark chocolate.  The ice cream bars can be amazing.

Likes (0)