forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 22 Mar 07 2:36pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Gardening- new forum suggestion

Forgive my brashness (have been a member for less than two weeks).

For example, with the new TV series, a few (which will probably grow as the series is released outside of Oz) questions/issues regarding herb gardening and veggie gardening have been raised.

Where to post? Recipe swap? If so, it will get "buried" in the gigantic topics. Few have time to read 50+ pages. The kitchen? Where?

Just a thought to throw into the ether and to hundreds of thousands of people.

No criticism or offense meant.

Love being a part of this group.

Sincerely,

Maree.

Last edited by Maree-in-Sydney (Thu 22 Mar 07 3:24pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 22 Mar 07 2:55pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

Re: Gardening- new forum suggestion

DB27 has a thread on a kitchen garden somewhere around here...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 3:21pm

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, Mrs Gibba. I used "thread". I should have used "forum". Will try to find the thread you mention.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Mar 07 3:26pm

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, Mrs Gibba. I used "thread". I should have used "forum". Will try to find the thread you mention.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 Mar 07 5:01pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi Maree

About a year ago I decided to have a crack at growing my own organic herbs and veg...

I started this thread asking for advice from people that know more about it that I do!

It was a real help for me and it has grown into what I think is a realy useful thread for anyone who needs help or advice on gardening...

Have a look and see what you think mate!

DB27s Kitchen Garden...

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic.php?id=17786

Feel free to post any hints, tips and advice... the more the merrier

All the best

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Thu 22 Mar 07 5:02pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Mar 07 5:40pm

Maree

Forum champ

Hello, again, Dave! You probably don't know it, but you were the very *first* person to reply to a question that I posted here less than two weeks ago when I became a member and was trying to negotiate my way around. So, thanks again, dear friend/mate for your help.

Before I check out the link, here's what I posted on the recipe forum regarding amber's problem with growing herbs. She lives in Oz, too. I've yet to work out how to "do" links, so please excuse me.

Big hugs,
Maree

"Amberpamba (plz excuse spelling) mentioned about growing herbs in answer to a question I placed in the gigantic Jamie at Home thread.

Since my response is already buried, here, for what it's worth is what I posted:

Amber, thanks for your response.Beets are not one of my favourite foods (too many memories of tinned, sliced beetroot, I guess).

Whilst, I don't pretend to be a gardening expert, I know that many herbs prefer "poor" soil and that that enhances the intensity of their flavours.that's the condition that many grow in in the Mediterranean.

We have really sandy, well drained soil. I just cover the herb garden with 2 weeks worth of Sydney Morning Heralds and junk mail (it keeps down the weeds- haven't time or inclination for weeding) and cover with heaps of mulch to keep the water in when I want to replant.With strict water restrictions in Sydney, they are lucky to get a "sprinkle" of water (except the parsley, mint and chillies) "once in a blue moon" plus the occasional raindrop.

Have given herbs to friends as presents and they have given them lots of TLC and they have died.

If your herb garden is "sad" and you have little to lose, try being lean and mean with them. Just remember they like well drained soil (mainly) as they don't like having wet feet (mint is one exception).

Pity we can't have the interesting variety of veggies that they have in the Nthn Hemi. Must check out that "Diggers" site for olde worlde seed/ heritage varieties..."

Likes (0)