forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 03 Mar 07 6:24pm

Djjay07

Member since Sat 03 Mar 07

School Dinners - No Taste And No Flavour!!

Hi. I goto litcham High School Norfolk.. I am a student who had food from our canteen. The canteen itself isnt really nice.. Just a plain layout with not alot of selection. Chips.. The Nations Favorite.. The chips we have are basically deep fried/oven chips.. But either way when you get them and start to eat them, plain boring flavour.. and They Are COLD!! Mashed potato which had lumps and tastes like that rubbish smash. We have a salad selection aswell but the trouble is noone really eats it. I began to be addicted but then just went back to the boring stuff. Alot of people also wont eat the sausages we have due to them having alot of fat in them. Homemade rolls which are burnt black on the tops and very hard. Homemade pizza which really does not taste nice at all.
Students Craved for burgers!! Or Pizza But Now it's all gone people won't eat from there!!

And to top this all off the prices are very expensive.. Most students have turned to packed lunches, Sandwiches, Crisps, 2 Chocolate Bars, Cheese Biscuits / Cheddars, and around 2 out of 5 also have a peice of fruit. Which isnt really good enough. From my point of view if the canteen had a better layout, with more better choice and a better flavour would be great! And bring back the salt sachets!! Salt is the best for flavour. Even though some of you mite disagree.. Salt is a added part!! Simple things like Honey And Lemon Glaised Gammon Or Crispy Slow Roated Chicken With Peas, Proper mashed potato/Boiled potato's with mint , carrots, cabbage and proper hoemmade gravy would definatly be the menu..

If at any chance Jamie could help we would all be grateful!  It would help change things dramatically!!

Thankyou for reading this!!
Adam, James, Daniel, Sarah, Michelle, Sophie, Samantha, Johnathon & Rosa!!  help   big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 Mar 07 4:42pm

schoolcook

Occupation school cook/ chef
From north west
Member since Wed 11 Oct 06

Re: School Dinners - No Taste And No Flavour!!

Hi , Im very sad to hear the comments about your school lunches sad
All I could suggest is go and speak to your canteen manager about your ideas on your healthy menu choices, Im sure they would rather be selling healthy food that the majority would eat, than throwing away food at the end of a service as this just eats away at food costs on a negative vibe,and could end up in staff cuts, or possible closure of the canteen (which when gone would be missed).
The staff who work in schools not only have to give a good service working to government guildlines,but have small budgets to work with.I know within our canteen we listen to the children/adults especialy when well thought out ideas are brought forward.
So have a go at getting a food council together and meet if possible with the catering staff, but remember sensible well planned ideas.Help them to help you stay healthy thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 20 Mar 07 12:20am

Dennis Cordall

Member since Mon 19 Mar 07

Hi Guys,
I'm a school parent govenor at a small infant school in essex.
Ask your school how much of their section 52 catering grant is actualy spent on food and catering equipment, which in turn is to subsidise your school dinner.
jamie has also convinced the government to add to this grant with the Jamie oliver grant which is part of a £28 million package intended to back up what schools are spending on your dinner.
The problem is that these funds are given to every school but are not 'ring fenced' to be specificaly spent on food.
Many schools use this money as extra funding for books, teachers, teaching assistants, buildings etc and leave it to your parents to pay for your dinner with very little subsidy or help towards the cost, hence your expensive, inadequate dinners.
The national average cost is £1.75 per meal after subsidy.
Question your school and if needed contact your local MP and ask why this great gift is not ring fenced and spent on childrens nutrition as it should be.
All the best

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 20 Mar 07 12:33am

Dennis Cordall

Member since Mon 19 Mar 07

How many readers here are aware that these funds are not ring fenced to be specificaly spent on catering and nutrition, why are so many shools spending the section 52 catering allocation ( in our infant and juniors case a massive £29,000) as well as the jamie oliver subsidy on other things instead of NUTRITION for our children.

WHY IS THIS ????

IS IT AN ESSEX THING ???

Jamie do you realise this and what are you gonna do about it m8 !!!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 23 Mar 07 2:57am

schoolcook

Occupation school cook/ chef
From north west
Member since Wed 11 Oct 06

Section 52 is this £29000 per school as I am puzzled to hear that some school cartering has defecits to this value, and would like to investigate breakdowns as to why if they get  this kind of funding,
help

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Mar 07 2:16pm

Arthur

From Hampshire
Member since Thu 09 Jun 05

Dennis

Schools received only £1050 plus 30.50 per number on roll as their part of the School Meal Grant Funding. -Not £29000. However you are correct that many schools do not have to use this money to improve their school meals. Which is unfortunate. Some do and do use it to great effect.

Government is now looking to forward this money top LEAs (Children Services), instead of giving to schools. There will be the condition to use only for ingredients and staff training.

I believe the Government has been embarassed to discover that schools have amassed 1 £1.6billion surplus  of tax payers money.

Likes (0)