Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Mar 07 2:31pm

Grabar

Occupation Student.....wanna start a career as a chef!....don't know how to!
From Seacoast Croatia
Member since Thu 15 Mar 07

Some recipes from Istria-Croatia

Hello everyone, I'm Ivan from Croatia...I'd like to share a recipe from my region..

Istrian "Jota"   
INGREDIENTS
    150 g. (5 oz.) beans
    300 g. (10 oz.) sauerkraut
    200 g. (7 oz.) potatoes
    500 g. (18 oz.) smoked spare ribs
    100 g. (4 oz.) smoked bacon
    20 g. (2/3 oz.) garlic
    parsley
    salt
    2-3 pepper corns
    2 bay leaves

The beans should be soaked in water for 24 hours.
Wash and drain the sauerkraut. Wash the spare ribs. Prepare pest: finely chop the bacon (known locally as "panceta"), garlic and parsley to a paste-like consistency. Peel and slice (or dice) the potatoes. Boil the sauerkraut and spare ribs together and the beans separately. When half cooked, combine the beans, sauerkraut and spare ribs and continue cooking. Add bay leaves, pepper corns and pesto. Just before cooking is completed add the potatoes and cook until they soften. Remove the spare ribs and serve separately from the "jota".

Try it!  cya! thumbsup

Last edited by Grabar (Thu 15 Mar 07 2:35pm)

The quality of the food you consume is directly proportional to the quality of life you have!
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 15 Mar 07 4:36pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Re: Some recipes from Istria-Croatia

Hi Grabar!
Nice to see someone from Croatia here! Have been on some wonderful holidays there thumbsup

Had some wonderful fish dishes there like calamari with garlic served with a mixture of potatoes and swiss chard (I think) or scampi in a spicy tomatoe sauce....

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 26 Mar 07 10:53pm

Grabar

From Seacoast Croatia

A recipe from my region:

called:"Fritule"

You need:

200 ml yogurt
An egg...free range
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or a bit of vanilla essence for cakes
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons soft white flour
zest of a lemon
some rum for aroma

To make:

Mix the yogurt, sugar,egg, vanilla sugar, flour, baking powder, the zest of a lemon and a bit of rum together. In a cooking pan heat 5 cm of oil where you will put with a spoon the dough you have made. TIP: before you put your first cake into the oil, insert the spoon in the oil for some seconds to make it hot....then proceed making the cakes. Try to make them big as a table tennis ball. keep looking not to touch the bottom of the pan with the spoon because it isn't good. Now, when your cakes are fried golden brown, extract them and dust them with some sugar to make them excellent...if you want add some dried fruit inside the dough before frying the cakes.   

THAT'S IT!!........GOOD LUCK!  thumbsup

The quality of the food you consume is directly proportional to the quality of life you have!
    Likes (0)

#4 Mon 26 Mar 07 10:56pm

Grabar

From Seacoast Croatia

Hey LadyRed.....

....tmw I'll write down the recipe for the scampi in tomatoe sauce..called "Scampi na buzaru"....I like that dish very much.....I'm glad you liked it!.......

Cya

G

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Mar 07 12:15am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Those fritules sound wicked!  whistle

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Mar 07 3:12pm

Grabar

From Seacoast Croatia

No SusanneH......the fritules are excellent.......easy to prepare......I like them.....depends on people....but everyone who tried them was fascinated..... mrgreen

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Mar 07 10:16pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Oh Grabar, when someone says that a food sounds wicked than they mean that it's too good to be true rather than bad (and probably instantly moves on to our hips to stay there after we were unable to resist the temptation) - so it really is a compliment  thumbsup  wink

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 Mar 07 10:39pm

Grabar

From Seacoast Croatia

4 SusannaH

Ah... oops .......I didn't know this trick..... mrgreen .........sorry 4 the words I've written......

Hear ya...!

G lol

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Apr 07 9:40pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

cool

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 04 Apr 07 1:41pm

Grabar

From Seacoast Croatia

Risotto with scampi:

Ingredients:

* 1 lb.  medium shrimp
    * 2 cups Arborio rice
    * 1  small onion, finely chopped
    * 3 tablespoons  olive oil
    * 1 clove garlic
    * 2 tablespoons (approx.) chopped parsley
    * 8 oz. can of peeled tomatoes
    * salt & pepper

Saute onion, garlic, and parsley in olive oil in large pot until onion is tender.  Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.  Set aside.

Saute shrimp in olive oil in separate skillet about 5 minutes.  Add shrimp to other pot.  Add rice and boiling water to cover.  Cook slowly, adding additional boiling water from time to time, until rice is cooked (about 20 minutes).  Season with salt and pepper to refine taste.

mrgreen

Last edited by Grabar (Wed 04 Apr 07 1:42pm)

Likes (0)