forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Mar 07 2:45am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Rustic chicken livers

Each Greek Easter my fil (mid 80s) makes a dish of what could be best described as rustic chicken livers. I can taste the bay leaves and the lemon and taste and feel walnuts and a slurp of brandy.

He "doesn't have recipe" but I'd imagine he'd saute the livers, drain, add the bay leaves and maybe some chicken stock, taste for seasoning, add lemon juice, taste again. Add lightly toasted chopped walnuts, taste and flambe/add brandy to taste.

Anyone have an authentic version of my guess work/intuition?

Maree.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Mar 07 3:52am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Rustic chicken livers

HI Maree,

This recipe for chicken livers contains some of the ingredients you described. Is this of any help?

Chicken Liver and Lemon Pasta     

675    gm    Chicken livers
110    gm    Butter
8    x    Spring onions, sliced
1    sprg    thyme
1    x    Clove garlic, crushed
         Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2    tbl    Brandy or marsala
2    x    Lemons, finely grated , zest of
675    gm    Tagliatelle
1    tbl    Oil
30    gm    Parmesan cheese, finely grated

Trim the chicken livers, removing any greenish parts. Rinse and pat dry with absorbent paper.
     Melt half the butter in a large frying pan, add the spring onions and thyme and sweat until the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute further.
     Add half the chicken livers and cook, turning frequently, until brown on the outside but still pink in the centre. Remove and discard the sprig of thyme. Put the chicken liver mixture into a food processor and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in the frying pan until foaming and cook the remaining chicken livers as before. Add the brandy or marsala and lemon zest to the pan and cook for 1 further minute.
    Season lightly with salt and pepper and return the processed chicken liver mixture to the pan. Mix thoroughly.
     Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in a large saucepan of boiling salted water to which the oil has been added, until al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Add the chicken liver mixture and mix thoroughly.
     Transfer to a large serving dish, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 29 Mar 07 4:33am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Rustic chicken livers

Hi and thanks, Shammy. I forgot to list the thyme and garlic. He's big on both.

This sounds very similar to a chicken livers and grapes recipe that I used to cook (??? "Veronique") in the early 80s when chicken livers were easy to come by. Very difficult to find here now. If one does find them, they're frozen. That that lump mate/love or lump it!

Monday:supply and banking day. Will attempt to locate fresh livers on my giddy trips across and around Sydney.

Thanks again!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)