forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sun 10 Oct 04 8:14am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: The Silk Road

Hi ya...glad to see that you find the recipes useful...any other help u need just give a shout out...will try my best to give u the most authentic recipe! Have fun trying these out!

Likes (0)

#32 Sun 10 Oct 04 8:19am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi Figgy...no sorry I can't remember the cafe it was a tiny one at Bourke Street...in an open air mall that same place had Haigh's Handmade Chocolate (that's the spelling I think!) and an outlet of Suga (huge candy shop that handmake's candy and lollipops right before your very eyes...wow!)It's ok...will source around for the recipe just hoped u had an inkling of what it was...do you have a good recipe for frittata however? Thanks.
Anyway...any other Asian recipes you need,just drop a mail over,will help you out, hope you did find something useful to do with your box of arrowroot though!

Likes (0)

#33 Sun 10 Oct 04 8:40am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi Deb...glad you like the recipes...any other help you need, just give a shout out to me...here's another Malay dessert for you...it's nice and almond-y...very more-ish indeed,it's got sort of a middle eastern turkish delight flavour to it cos' of the additionof rosewater. Try it!

YOU NEED:
230gm fine castor sugar
6tbsp water
180gm ground almonds
180gm butter
2tsp rosewater
6 cardamoms, seeded,toasted lightly and ground in the blender
pinch of salt

HOW:
Dissolve sugar in water over a low heat,bring to the boil after sugar has dissolved.
Add almonds,rose water, butter and salt,keep stirring till smooth. Lower the heat down at this point to prevent severe burning!
When the mix has thickened,pour into a shallow dish and sieve the cardamom powder lightly over top. Leave to cool and set before cutting into squares/diamonds. Decorate with glace cherries if desired.
Just something new for you to try...hope you like it.

Likes (0)

#34 Sun 10 Oct 04 8:56am

Oh Deb

From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Sat 25 Sep 04

Many thanks for the extra recipe.  sounds delicious and is right up my alley re tastes.

How is Singapore at the moment.  Have visited many times over the years and still love visiting.  Have seen lots of changes and masses of growth.

Last time, went to a great eatery.  Can't remember the name of the building, but it's the one with the fountain and the fish.  Did the walk around the fountain and went big time with hoping for 'world peace'.

The food was great - the most memorable being the pigs trotters.  Absolutely delicious and a bit of a challenge to eat with chopsticks.  My friends have decided that on each visit, I'm to try something new.  Birds nest soup is next on the list.  They think it's an absolute hoot that I approach some of these dishes with trepidation.

Went to an expats place for the first time.  Can't remember where, but it really jumps - might have been out on the east coast.  Had snails there for the first (and last) time.

Many thinaks for the recipes.

Deb

Likes (0)

#35 Sun 10 Oct 04 9:03am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hi LadyRed...here's a great Malay dish you have to try...it's a meal in itself,very yummy and flavourful indeed...it's called Mee Soto,a common dish you can find in Singapore hawker centres

YOU NEED:
A 1.5kg chicken
6cups cold water
600gm fresh thick egg noodles
300gm beansprouts,tails removed
Grind in a blender: 1.5 tbsp toasted coriander seeds,1 tsp toasted cumin seeds,1 tsp toasted fennel seeds,1 stalk sliced lemon grass (use lower end only),1 thick slice peeled ginger,4 candlenuts, 8-10 shallots and 1tsp toasted whitepepper corns.
Garnish: chopped spring onion and coriander, potato cutlets (boil and mash potato,season with pepper,salt,beaten egg, chopped coriander and finely chopped garlic, form cutlets with wet hands, deep fry in hot oil till golden and crisp,drain well).
Dipping Sauce: sliced chillies mixed in lime juice,sugar and thick dark soy sauce

HOW:
Put whole chicken,ground spice paste,water and some salt in a large pot, boil for 90-120 minutes till chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken,shred meat to use in soup,keep bones in freezer for boiling soup again.
Check seasoning in stock,set aside.
Cook noodles and scald beansprouts in hot water.
Put noodles in a bowl, sprinkle beansprouts and shredded chicken over. Add hot stock over,top with potato cutlet and garnishing,serve with dipping sauce.
Hope you like it.

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 10 Oct 04 9:08am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Singapore is great! You went to Suntec City I guess...the huge fountain where all the tourists ooh and aah over!  yikes
It's nice...especially at night!
We have more and more eateries springing up over here...ooh you went to East Coast! That's where I live...I am like 10 minutes away from the beach man!
Let me tell ya'...don't waste your time eating at expat restaurants, the good stuff is in the hawker centres...after all...coming all the way here means trying new stuff don't ya think? Let me know when u drop by again,will recommend you some good places to pig out in! Haha take care will post u more recipes when I have the time, do you prefer sweet or savoury? Let me know!

Likes (0)

#37 Sun 10 Oct 04 9:24am

Oh Deb

From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Sat 25 Sep 04

Yeah - it was Suntec City.  Don't usually do the expat eateries - but that place was where everyone from the office wanted to go.

Usually just wander about and pick up stuff I like the look of.  I remember one Christmas when we had bags of roasted chestnuts for lunch - we were wandering around in Chinatown at the time - many years ago.  Noticed last time they had roasted chestnuts near the station on Orchard Road - the one opposite Robinsons.

Had some great Hor Fun down around the old Change Alley - actually I think it was at the pub at Clifford Pier.  That was years ago as well.

would be your best friend forever and ever if you could give me a decent recipe.  Just love rice noodles.

I like savoury mainly, but I do have a very sweet tooth.

Thanks
Deb

Likes (0)

#38 Sun 10 Oct 04 1:14pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Ingredients
Hor fun - thick flat rice noodle
dark soya sauce
light soya sauce
red chillies, seeded and sliced finely
beef slices, marinated in an egg white, soy sauce, and chinese wine
Choi sum (Chinese flowering cabbage), blanched in hot water
white pepper (powder)
chopped garlic, minced ginger
cornflour
pounded dried black beans, easily obtainable from a chinese grocery (go easy, it's salty)
chicken stock
An egg
Method:
In a good sturdy wok, Heat 1-2 tbsp peanut oil and fry hor fun briefly with a little dark soya sauce and set aside.
Make sure the fire is strong and wok hot enough or the hor fun will stick to the pan.
For the Sauce
Heat wok, fry garlic, minced ginger, chillies and black beans till fragrant. Add meat, stir fry briefly, remove meat. Add veggies, fry till cooked. Season to taste with pepper, light soya sauce and thicken with corn flour (first dissolved in chicken stock). Simmer meat in sauce, add more dark soy to colour. Take care not to overcook meat. Stir in beaten egg till it forms ribbons in sauce. Otherwise, crack egg over top and simmer till done.
Served with pickled green chillies in soy sauce.
Note: to make pickled green chillies, heat 1 cup white rice vinegar in a non-reactive pot till it boils, add in 1-2 heaped dessert spoon sugar, 1 heaped tsp salt and enough chopped green chillies to be amply covered by the hot vinegar mix. Immediately turn off heat, cover pot and leave to pickle for 2-3 hours. Pour into a screwtop jar with liquid, fridge it. Drain desired amounts and pour soy sauce over to eat with noodles, hor fun or stir-fries

Last edited by Stefanie (Tue 14 Nov 06 2:21pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 10 Oct 04 3:42pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Oh my gosh guys...I just did this tonight...it was great! My family had a BBQ and I decided to make this Malay-style fishcake wrapped in banana leaf,it turned out great...excited to share it with you all...here it is!

YOU NEED:
500gm Spanish Mackeral fillet
3tbsp peanut oil
1 and 1/4 cups coconut cream
1 egg,lightly beaten
8 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
1 and 1/4 level tsp salt
4 tbsp sugar
20 banana leafves, cut into 15cm squares
40 sharp toothpicks
Grind in a mixer, 5 washed candlenuts, 15 dried chillies (soaked in water 1st to soften), 50gm ginger, 1 thumb-sized tumeric root, 2 stalks lemon grass (use lower ends only), 4cm piece shrimp paste,15 shallots and 1 tbsp toasted coriander seeds

HOW:
Grind fish in a food processor till smooth
Heat oil in a wok till hot, fry spice paste till fragrant, about 5 minutes. Srit in coconut cream and cook until just under boiling point. Turn off heat and cool. Stir in egg into cooled mix.
Add ground fish, salt,sugar and lime leaves.
Soften banana squares by holding them briefly over a gas flame.The leaves will soften and the natural oils will exude.
Divide fish into 20 portions, place each portion in the centre of the banana leaf and fold into a rectangle, seal with toothpicks at both ends securely.
BBQ the fish parcels over gently glowing coals for 3-4 minutes each side or bake them in a 180 degree celsius oven for 10 minutes.
This can be eaten as a snack hot or cold, or with rice and a salad of cucumber,pineapple and shredded carrot dressed with a little vinegar, pineapple juice, sugar and salt.

Likes (0)

#40 Mon 11 Oct 04 5:24am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Hey guys I am planning to make this tonight for my aunt and uncle who are flying in from Perth today, it's their favourite dessert from dim sum/yum cha restaurants. I thought you all might like it, good if you can get hold of the ripest type of firm mango for this fabulous Mango Pudding!

YOU NEED:
2 cans evaporated milk
1 packet (12g) agar agar powder
300gm fine castor sugar
2 cups water (1/2litre)
3 ripe mangoes
A little yellow food colouring
5 eggwhites

HOW:
Blend agar agar powder with sugar in a pot, pour in water and boil till agar agar and sugar dissolves. Turn off heat.
When mix is slightly cooled, whis in evaporated milk and tint the mixture with a few drops of yellow food colouring.
Peel and de-seed mangoes. Dice the flesh of one, puree the rest in a blender.
Beat egg whites in a dry, clean bowl with a pinch of salt till it's stiff. (do the ol' Jamie style...if the bowl's held over your head and nothing falls out, you're good!)
Mix mango puree into evap mixture and fold in the egg whites. Gently stir in diced mango.
Refrigerate in a glass bowl or in individual glasses to set. Top with cherries if you like. Serve well-chilled with extra evap on the side if desired.

Likes (0)