Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 27 Mar 07 11:56am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Organic Gardening

So far Im only gardening out the front, its pretty big & is very weed infested.. also I think lawn is pointless in Oz as its too hot & dry most of the time.

I put a cemented stone border in a few weeks back & I want to fill that with mulch & also right up the side of the house as I hate mowing up there & the lawn (mostly weeds) always grows faster there where it is more shady, so after a good mulching I want to plant Hydrangea up the side as it will be pretty for me to look at while I do the dishes.

The other side of the front yard has a gum tree, already I have a few lillies planted under there, but I want to cement a big stone ring around the tree ( I picked up the rocks on the side of the road, they are leftovers from blasting when the road was put through) once the ring is done I will fill it with some soil & mulch & plant all my bulbs in there, they are stored under the house right now.

Mostly I want the garden to be cottagey so that eventually it will be low maintenance & I can grow herbs, lettuce etc mixed in with the flower beds.. i love that look.

So far I have 4 lilacs in, 5 lavenders, gazania & basil. I have tonnes of seeds in for violas, lobelia & heartsease. Im going to buy some potted colour for that instant garden look to...

BUT IM STILL WAITING FOR THE MULCH... cant say much as I scored it for free... but I wish they would get on with it.

LEW: Just buy seeds... except for rosemary which needs a steady 23 degrees C. to germinate.

OR

It is common here in Oz to see quite advanced herbs in pots for sale in supermarkets, plant nurseries etc, they are usually between 2-5 dollars.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 28 Mar 07 1:57am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Thanks Kimber, will check it out. It wil probably be advertised on the tv but it's nice that we get it. Although I have my sweet basil germinating in a heated greenhouse it hardly took anytime at all. You could always start some in the house if you have room and some light.

My son who is 5 and I started some more seeds today. He had so much fun with me, I was suprised that he enjoyed planting seeds with his mom, lol. I gave him some more pea's to plant, they are just the right size for little fingers! We also made little wells and sprinkled in some cosmos. The radish we planted were fairly small but I was the "guide" and made the holes for him. I even marked the stakes with his name and date. He was quite pleased with himself.

Lew, have you tried a local nursery? They may not have a huge selection in yet. I started from seed but intend to buy already started herbs, like in 4" pots when the time comes... late April/May, I just keep checking. Good luck! smile

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 29 Mar 07 11:43pm

Lew1592

Occupation Still at school
From Aberdeen, Scotland
Member since Fri 24 Nov 06

thats an idea, i sort of figured that it was a little early to buy the started ones.  Im starting my plotti in a few days smile  looking forward to it and all the best to the rest of you.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 30 Mar 07 12:26am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Good luck Lew!

Frizz, wow, you have been busy! Sounds like you have put in a lot of hard work.

I found some broccoli raab the other day but I need small individual pots for that. Iam still putting off mixing soil for baskets and my container stuff, just too tired at the end of the day, lol, maybe this weekend.

Likes (0)