forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Mar 07 2:30pm

Corrinab

Member since Thu 29 Mar 07

Preserving Tomatoes; How to???

Hi i am new and inspired by Jamie and I have been searching tirelessly for a safe way to preserve tomatoes preferrably dried in oil.  Is this possible? I have my first home grown crop!... of tomatoes which are the best i have ever tasted and cannot use them all.  does anyone have any suggestions???

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Mar 07 5:06pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Preserving Tomatoes; How to???

I cut my cherry tomatoes in half, sprinkle with rock salt, fresh thyme and put them cut-side down onto a cake rack over a roasting tray (to catch the drips) The oven should be low, low, low so that you can comfortably put your hand in. It can take 24-36hrs but the smell is amazing. I let them cool a little and put them into sterilised airrtight jars, add fresh thyme and garlic and top up with virgin olive oil. Store in a cool place. Don't waste the oil. It is amazing brushed over pizza bases, bbqing veggies, leg of lamb etc etc.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Mar 07 4:25pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Hiya,  When the tomatoes are really ripe and lovely in the summer months in Malta, we cut them in half and cover them with rock salt as Maree says , but we put them on a fine net with a tray underneath (to catch the drips),cover them over with a piece of net- usualy a curtain drapes well over them! and we leave them in the hot sun on our roofs till they have dried.  Then put them in jars with olive oil,garlic and herbs - hence Sun dried tomatoes!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Mar 07 7:21pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Senga, it's too humid here in Feb-early March to leave the tomatoes outside. They'd go mouldy very quickly, if not eaten by the possums. That's why I do mine in a low, low, low oven. It's a compromise but the results are worth it.

Nice to meet you!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Sat 31 Mar 07 12:25am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

wow! ive been scouring the internet for authentic sundried tomato recipes all night! thanks senga, gonna give that a go. its actually raining in spain at the mo, might not help matters!

el.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 31 Mar 07 10:49am

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Hi ellboy, as you too have the benefit of , or are cursed with (however you see it?!) hot summers, you should wait till July/August, when the days are really hot and theres an abundance of tomatoes, not the green house ones but those grown in fields.  You should also try to do this when it's a north west wind -the famous mayistral- when the air is really fresh -the days when your washing dries beautifully! as with humidity in the air they tend to go a bit funny as Maree says.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 31 Mar 07 7:38pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

yeh i'll wait a while, august will be best, it hits about 35c!

bet malta is similar?

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 05 Apr 07 3:17pm

ricardol

Occupation Marketing
From London
Member since Tue 03 Jan 06

The other thing to do with them IMHO is to roast them slowly for a few hours then turn them into a tomato sauce (simply simmer with a little salt and a pinch of sugar).  Then you can freeze the sauce in small portions for future use...

Likes (0)