forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 01 Apr 07 8:32pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Cerviche

Years ago, in New Caledonia, I had the most amazing meal of cerviche ("raw" fish cooked in lime juice). It was a white fish probably "perroquet" (parrot fish) with coconut and coriander.

Since then, I've tried almost 50 recipes for cerviche but none match the original in flavour or texture.

Any suggestions for tried and true and "thumbs up" recipes?

Thank you.

Maree.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:14am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Cerviche

I might be more to do with the time between the fish swimming about and when it hit your plate.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:30am

Maree

Forum super champ

Huh? Do you mean freshness- staight of the lagoon- the largest in the world?

NC's reef is second only in size to our Great Barrier Reef. To see it from the air is amazing. To be paddling with kids and have the small reef fish swimming around your feet is also amazing.

I lived and worked there on and off from 1980-1984. My friends are restauranteurs and I moon-lighted at the now defunct Club Med as their nurse (handing out Panadol for hangovers, sunburn treatment and the very occasional trip to the public hospital, Gaston Bourret) was the extent of it.

When the cruise ships full of Australians came in, I helped out as a translator and in the kitchen when they were really pushed.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:55am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Yes, I was aiming at freshness. If you go to sydney's fish market you are getting the leftovers after the export market, restaurants, supermarkets and fishshops have go theirs? Claudio's is still the best though.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:18am

Maree

Forum super champ

That's where I always shop (if I can get a park). Never seems to taste the same, though.

Perhaps it's that "idealised" memory of food in a great location (by the lagoon) with friends who are no longer with us or that with age (a truth) our taste-buds become less sensitive/receptive.

Still, I keep on trying.

Anyone have a great recipe for cerviche with lime, coconut milk and coriander?

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:24am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Claudio's is the best you can get from the markets (I was very pleased last year to have this confirmed by one of the senior floor managers of the market), if you can't get it from there you could try catching your own fish or living with the happy memory  smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Apr 07 4:07am

Cusi

Member since Mon 26 Mar 07

I mix the sole fish in small cubes, some chiles, red onion, red and yellow sweet pepper, chopped coriander and lime juice.
I let it stand for about 30 min and serve it with sweet potatoes cooked in the oven with some oil.
I've never tried with coconut milk , but it could taste nice....
I've tried once with some mango chopped in cubes.

I hope you could ever try that ceviche again!!!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Apr 07 6:16am

Maree

Forum super champ

Hi Cusi. Don't think I've met you before. Where are you from.

I wish I could taste that "simple lunch" again, too. Last time I was in Nouvelle Caledonie, the restaurant was still there, but, of couse, the menu had changed.

The freshness of the fish, the lime and the coconut milk (from the trees surrounding us) were what "made" the dish. Nothing added except salt and pepper and a simple green salad afterwards. If given a choice, it (and a sorbet) afterwards and a dozen freshly shucked oysters as an entree would be my last meal.

Nice to meet you!

Maree

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:22pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Does anyone have an idea if this right

cubed white fish
lemon juice
white wine
garlic
parsley
dried oregano
salt
white pepper

I think this is how an old boss of mine made it. But he used fish cutlets. He was from Greece. Do they have a "raw" fish dish, traditionally?

Last edited by frizz1974 (Mon 02 Apr 07 2:26pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 02 Apr 07 6:48pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thanks for your response!

The Greeks might add oregano, but the Melanesians/Polynesians would never. The dish I ate was high on lime juice and coconut milk which makes me think it has a Tahitian influence (Polynesian).

I am a second generation French-Ukrainian-Irish- Anglo Australian married to a second generation Greek-Anglo who was brought up on traditional Anglo food so I'm not the best one to ask re traditional Greek food.

I do know that it's very regional and that in some areas they eat the slabs of salted fish, similar to what Italians call "baccala" or French call "moreau"- know that's incorrect spelling. My daughter has started Uni and has helped herself to my huge Collins Robert French dictionary and my philosophy texts.

Suggest you post on "Greece is Everywhere" in the Introductions forum. They would be better equipped to answer your question.

Thanks for your help!

Likes (0)