forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Mar 07 4:47pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Kitchen nasties: weavils

In spring and especially autumn when it's really humid in Sydney, I no sooner unpack my flours and pasta and place them in airtight containers, than they are full of weavils.

My Nan used to scatter whole cloves through her pantry. Doesn't work for me.I store them in cool areas but the pesky little critters keep coming back. Obviously, they are in the packs when I buy them but invisible.

Any suggestions? It's becoming a real nuisance, inconvenience and expensive (not to mention wasteful).

Thanks!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Mar 07 7:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Kitchen nasties: weavils

I had this problem about 10 years ago. I seem to remember that the weavils were in a bag of organic wholemeal flour that I had been given. When I first looked into the bag of flour I thought that it was just very speckly as it was wholemael but then realised that all these little speckles were also clinging to the edge of the bag and some of them were moving!
I had never seen flour weavils before.
Unfortunatly the bag of flour had been in the pantry for at least 2 weeks before I had had reason to use it. The weavils were in other bags of flour by then!

I seem to remember that after trying various things I either used or threw alay all the dried goods in the pantry, washed all the cans and jars that were on the shelves and then I bleached all the shelves.

You may of course not have the same flour weavils that we have in the uk. Anyway that is what worked for me in the end!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 29 Mar 07 8:14pm

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks for your reply. Your problem sounds like mine. Because I run a food-related business from home, I have several types of flours but I keep stock to a minimum. The wretched insects still get into almost everything. Have done all you suggested except bleach the shelving.
Guess what's now on my "to do" list?
Thanks again,
Maree.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 29 Mar 07 9:56pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

One tip I have come across - in France - isto freeze theflour as soon as you get it home, then defrost after about a week and seive the flour to get ridf any dead weevils.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 29 Mar 07 10:37pm

Maree

Forum champ

Fancy meeting you again so soon, Geoff.
That's something else Nan did. We'd laugh and say there was no room in the fridge or freezer for milk, meat icecream because of her dry staples.
Another thing to add to my "to do" list- defrost ancient freezer, clear it out and fill with flours (esp) and pasta.
Thanks for your help yet again.
Maree

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:29am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I have screw lided plastic containers for flour. Once, I did have a bag of rolled oats that was teeming with weavils. One of the little sods was trying to get into one of the normal (snap) lidded containers of flour. I threw out the source of the problem (the oats) and any other flour based goods that were not sealed in plastic. A few of them had grown into moths and I sprayed them (this was a kitchen with no pantry so flour lived on top of the fridge). Now as soon as I spot the tell tale wispy strands inside the lid of a container, paper package or box I throw it out. Happened last week with a box of rice flour.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:07am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one! Have enough trouble locating and then buying stuff like spelt and amaranth flours (plus the usual) and the expense (and time involved) to have to throw the stuff out.

My Nan used to keep whole cloves in the pantry (mine is all but non-existant- try the linen cupboard) or put bay leaves in the sealed containers OR store flour in the fridge/freezer. Her fridge/freezer for one is the same size as ours for four adults plus the business stock (no room for a bar fridge for the business).

So sick of wastage,expense and inconvenience. The wretched things stored in the linen cupboard in "air tight" containers once turned to moths and ate my linen.

Since I run an organic/wholefood/ gourmet business, I can't (much as I'd sometimes like to) spray the cupboards into oblivion.

Then there's the linen, who wants to sleep or towel off with linen blasted with spray? Have used the "moth traps" (sticky things) with limited success.

Wonder what purpose weavils, moths and roaches serve in the "meaning of life". They'd probably ask the same about us.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Where do you get those flours?

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Apr 07 3:22am

Maree

Forum champ

Mainly high-turnover mega health food stores for the specialty flours.

The health food section/"normal" section of the supermarket for bakers' flour and organic wholemeal.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 02 Apr 07 7:53am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Which stores specifically? I have gluten issues so I like to find "special" flours

Likes (0)