Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 01 Apr 07 6:16pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Parsnips anyone?!

Hi there... parsnips are not a big thing back home in France and I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions re: recipes.... I always tend to roast them in the oven with olive oil & garlic or else do a mash of potatoes/parsnips (half-half).... Thanks.  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 02 Apr 07 3:05am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Parsnips anyone?!

Hi French_vanilla,

Try this little soup.

Apple and Parsnip Soup with Coriander     

Ingredients :

3    tbl    Unsalted butter
1 1/2    lb    Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 1/2    lb    Parsnips, peeled, sliced
1    lrg    Onion, chopped
1 1/2    tsp    Ground coriander
4    cup    chicken broth, (or more)
         Chopped fresh parsley
         Apple slices, (optional)

Method :

Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add apples, parsnips, onion and coriander and saute until slightly softened, about 12 minutes. Add 4 cups broth and bring to boil.
     Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until apples and parsnips are tender, about 40 minutes.
    Puree soup in blender in batches. Return puree to saucepan. Thin with more broth if desired. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
    Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley; garnish with apple slices if desired and serve.
     Serves 6.

Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 02 Apr 07 9:48am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Try this as an accompaniment to foods like sausages:

Carrot & Parsnip Puree

Peel and equal quantity of parsnips and carrots, and boil together until tender.  Drain (reserving the liquid).  Add a decent-sized knob of butter, a pinch of salt, and 1 - 3 teaspoons of curry powder.  Blend together, loosening with some of the cooking water if necessary.  Serve immediately.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 02 Apr 07 10:48am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I often boil the parsnips for a short while and then finish them off by giving them a  saute in a little butter with a dash of olive oil added. I season them with a little pepper whilst they are in the final moments of being cooked.
Cooking the parsnips this way allows them to remain very soft and is realy quite delicious.

We eat a lot of Parsnips and I will often add them to a veg curry, they are so nice in the curry.

You could always make a vegetable bake.

peel chop and put on to boil a few parsnips, potatoes, sweet pototo, broccoli , leek...well realy any veg that you enjoy that you have around!!
I tend to 'layer them up in one lidded pan' so that the  lower veg..potato and parsnip maybe, are the only veg that are in any water and the upper veg steam above them....do not cook the veg fully .

Whilst the veg are cooking..make a cheese sauce
so...in another pan, cook some peeled chopped onions ,over a fairly gentle heat, (in some butter with a dash of oil added)untill tender and starting to brown a little at the edges.
When the onions are cooked remove them from the pan ,then using the same pan( as you will them get the flavour from the onion residue),add enough butter to make a sauce. Add some flour and cook this for a VERY short while, then gradually add some milk. As soon as you start to add the milk the sauce will start to thicken and so you will have to stir fast. Keep adding small mounts of milk untill the sauce has a coating consistancy,season with salt and pepper to taste. Add some cheese to the sauce ( amount and type of cheese I find varies ! depends on how much cheese you like in a sauce!!) and cook this for a short while.

Strain the veg and put them into an oven proof dish. Tip the sauce over the veg and then top with a mix of fresh breadcrumbs that have a bit of grated cheese mixed into them. ( ones you make yourself ..brown or white bread it does not matter,)

Bake in a mid temperature oven untill the veg are fully cooked and the topping is crisp mand browned.

Last edited by mummza (Mon 02 Apr 07 10:51am)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Apr 07 12:32pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Try parboiling them, whole, then tossing in maple syrup before roasting.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:23pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Thanks for all the great ideas guys.... Will defo try a few of your suggestions... never thought about adding this veg to a curry for example.... the soup looks interesting too.. thanks.  thumbsup

French_vanilla

Likes (0)