forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 31 Mar 07 11:36pm

Cusi

Member since Mon 26 Mar 07

Cooking scargots

Hey everybody!
I got some scargots (snails) at supermarket and i´m looking for a good recipe...
I´ve tried them once and i have the recipe but i want sthng less predictable.

Thank you all!!
Cusi

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 01 Apr 07 4:58pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Cooking scargots

This is just a slight twist to the traditional way but I really like them:
Use the garlic, butter and parsley combo but serve in puff pastry shells.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 01 Apr 07 6:20pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Yeah, that's the typical way we would eat them back home but why not try doing them in a spicy tomato sauce with a boil of plain rice....  tongue

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 01 Apr 07 9:21pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

For once, I am a traditionalist. I cook them in garlic butter and parsley with lots of crusty bread for the sauce.

Any leftover sauce is used to make a garlicky sauce with prawns/shrimp with linguine.

Maree.

PS bought some escargot dishes (some with miniscule faults) on sale. Have the shells. Now have to find the escargot implements. My antique-vintage cocktail forks work well but it's a little messy. Hand-bowls necessary with warm water and lemon slices.

As Julia Roberts (in "Pretty Woman" says: "Pesky little critters"). But delicious!

Have just started my own snail farm. Not easy in a drought (the worst in 100 yrs we are told). Am in the dis/de-gorging phase. We don't use chemicals of any kind in our garden, but don't know where these creatures have been before.

Will keep you posted if you wish.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Apr 07 4:17am

Cusi

Member since Mon 26 Mar 07

Thank you all!!!! I´m going to try them and then post it....

Cusi

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Apr 07 3:18pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Hi Cusi, we do it very different here.  I don't cook it personally but my mother in law used to.  Will find out how it's done and will post it a.s.a.p.  One thing that we make to go along with it- which I prefer to the snails-is aryoli.
This is crushed galletti ( a local kind of water biscuit), loads of garlic, olive oil,chopped anchovies and about a tea spoon of tomato puree.  Soak the biscuits in water till they become soft.  Squeeze the water out and put them in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients + salt & pepper and leave for about half an hour.  Eat with lots of crusty bread. Oh yeah and the snails.

Likes (0)