forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 03 Apr 07 4:35pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

Re: Easter and Lent...

Anna, where are you?!!? ive been waiting outside in the drizzle for hoooooooours!

got my varnish at the ready, and its all systems go!

Sadie-hoshi - the crumbly sweet ones or the ones with cheese? we  make both! they are sooooo good. ive tried to get the recipe off my nan, but in typical Greek style they are not written down, i have to go watch her!

x

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 03 Apr 07 5:18pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

The crumbly sweet ones - Nonna (my friends MIL) puts lemon icing on them. She doesn't have them written down either. She does them all by 'guess' or 'feel'. They always taste incredible.

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 03 Apr 07 6:43pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Ooh Georgie sorry, have been having a decidedly unLenten day and only just made it out of bed.  How's the fasting going?  Not long left now!   smile

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 03 Apr 07 10:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

As children we used to have pink coloured boiled eggs and dippy bread and butter 'soldiers' for breakfast on Easter Sunday ,after going to church (yes ,after church!)... I always used to think that the eggs turned pink by magic  lol  couldn't work out why my friends never had pink boiled eggs at Easter !! lol  simple little thing I was !  Of course my mother put food colouring in the pan when she boiled the eggs but I didn't discover that for ages  lol

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 04 Apr 07 2:15am

La Luna

Forum champ
From Peterborough, ON Canada
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Georgie
I am Greek Orthodox as well.
Isn't Greek Easter the second Sunday, after the first full moon, after the equinox? Not that it matters, just wondering. Seems as if Greek Easter is rarely the same Sunday as 'regular' Easter. BTW - my Dad is Greek Cypriot too.
Our family colours the eggs red, plays the 'bashing' game - I sometimes win too. And of course, there is always lamb. Does your family make the braided 'eggy' bread, with the red eggs baked into the bread, like this one?
http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/tsoureki.jpg
Not gluten free - as you know, but one of my favourite things.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 04 Apr 07 5:10am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I wish it was so simple to calculate the date of Easter as La Luna said smile

You probably wouldn't believe the complexities which derive from the consequences of the Orthodox Church following  lunisolar calendar, while the Western Church uses a purely solar calendar smile

You probably wouldn't appreciate having to learn about the Quartodeciman controversy, or the differences between the Julian and Gregorian calendars.

You wouldn't want to know the various algorithms used in the calculations:-

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/ortheast.html#ALG

Best just to buy a diary and rely on that:)

Western & Orthodox Easter fall on the same date this year - next Sunday, the 8th April.

One o these years we will harmonise the dates - but don't hold your breath - talkshave bern going on for the last two millennia sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartodecimanism

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 04 Apr 07 5:34am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I shall be making a herb encrusted leg of lamb, hopefully I can get a Salt Spring Island lamb... I get it de-boned for carving sakes... along with white bean dip/pita/salad/my own spinach~feta roll in phyllo, potatoes and the usual dips. Will try and get some Greek cookies or pastries if I can make it to the city and if I can manage a huge workout, lol! Hey! What wine can use suggest that will go with this meal??? Mind you, it should be something international so I can get it here in Canada, thanks so much!

Have a wonderful Easter everyone! Which reminds me, have to collect my chocolates for the children at the deli!  smile

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 04 Apr 07 10:42am

Georgie

From Jamie's office

sadie- i know which ones you mean, they are yum!! ive got to go watch her this year, and will try report back  smile

this weeks going ok! not so bad... got a lot of gluten dairy free foods to had, so just keep shoving them in my mouth so i dont have time to think about eating regular food (not that it stops me having raging food envy)

the pink egg idea is so sweet!! we dye them for the smashing game, but thats ace for kids. pink eggs!

La Luna - see geoffp! he's the man in the know  wink  this year they fall on the same day, which is so nice, means the abnk holiday coincides, hurrah!

bcrain - im hungry again now!

ok, off i got to eat my gluten free museli with soya milk and soya yoghurt... *sigh*

toast anyone?

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 04 Apr 07 11:54am

Suzanna

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 27 Jan 05

Keep it up George, you're doing well. And so am I (wink wink, nudge nudge). I'm on organic muesli with blackberries.

Are you allowed a big fat Easter egg for Easter Sunday? I have been drooling over them in the shops, trying to decide which one I want most. Rolo? Green and Blacks mini eggs? Oh well, a girl can dream... big_smile

Last edited by Suzanna (Wed 04 Apr 07 11:55am)

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 04 Apr 07 12:54pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

BOOOOOO!!! you should def let yourself have an egg on easter sunday! and good onyou, thats ace!

i am going to completely indulge in all the goodies on offer. why not! its Easter after all  wink lamb and potatoes and biscuits - yum!

was going to get an egg as easter pressie, but i cant find a large kinder egg anywhere  yikes  so i think ill get a new candle, as my diptyque one has runout  wink

Likes (0)