Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Feb 07 10:23am

a1ladybird

Member since Mon 18 Sep 06

Help!

Can anyone help me out with recipies for desserts for a child i cater school dinners for who cannot have, Soya, any dairy including eggs, yeast or gluten i have made him some rice pudding using coconut milk which worked ok (the rice milk is just too watery) he has friut salad most days as a dessert but it would be nice if i could give him something different once in a while!

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Feb 07 8:18pm

xs5veg

Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

Re: Help!

Hi my son has the same intolerances. Puddings are difficult, fruit crumbles are usually well received , as well as very fruity cakes, more fruit than cake especially apples and there are some sorbets that you can get but most often it is fruit salad or smoothies. Almond milk is another one to try though is pricey, but custard made with it is delicious if you like and can tolerate nuts.
Unlike you, my son's school are completely unprepared to accomodate his needs, they are even refusing to change stock cubes to allow him to have vegetable rice.  Even if we pay for the cubes.Any advice on how to convince them that it's not that scary welcome.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Feb 07 6:20pm

a1ladybird

Firstly i'm sorry to hear your son's school will not accomadate him, if he is intitled to free school meals i think (altough i'm not sure) that they are legally obligated toprovide him with a meal even if its just a jacket potato! I would suggest you ask to talk to the school cook in person. i met with the child concerned parents and we went through the menu together discussing each days menu individually and what i would need to change in order to accomadate him. it really was not that difficult as i make everything from scratch and i can just take some out for him if i need to at a certain stage in the cooking (before i add any stock, marg to the mash ect) and they have provided me with some of his pasta, bread and rice milk as they get it on prescription. I don't know the situation at your school but we are "in house" so it was my decision in the end it works really well and the child has dinner most days and because we are in house we need as many children as possible to have dinner! if you don't get any luck with the cook try writing to the catering company if there is one. Good Luck and thanks for the recipe ideas. Can i just ask what marg and flour you use in the crumble as i cannot use flour with gluten or marg or butter with dairy or soya!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 21 Feb 07 7:20pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Hi a1ladybird!  Wow - you do a really good job with this child's meals.  My daughter is a coeliac and lactose intolerant and, like xs5veg, the school does not provide food for her.  Adding soya and egg into the mix can be challenging I would expect ......

Pure make a margarine that is lactose and soya free - it's their sunflower one, and it's actually rather nice.  As for puddings, that is tricky.  I sometimes make a fruit jelly for my daughter which she loves, or banana custard goes down well (if you can make custard with rice milk - I make it with soya milk using Bird's custard powder which is gluten and egg free - but it must be the one in the tin, not in the packets).  When I make crumbles (which I do quite a lot), I tend to use buckwheat flour as it has a slightly sweet/spicy flavour which complements fruit really well.

A company called Orgran do an egg replacement which I have used in the past to make gluten, dairy and egg free pancakes (which were quite acceptable) which were then filled with fruit purees - it was nice.  I also make an egg free, gluten free banana bread:

3 over-ripe bananas
4oz sugar
6oz gluten-free self-raising flour
2oz margarine, melted

Mash the bananas and the sugar together.  Add the flour and melted margarine, mix well and put in a greased 2lb loaf tin.  Bake in the oven at 160C for 40 mins or until risen, golden and firm to the touch.  Cool on a baking rack before serving.

Good luck with this challenge - it sounds as though you are doing really, really well  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Feb 07 7:46pm

Arran

Member since Mon 26 Jun 06

The problem is that ingredients are usually selected by LEAs and not schools. Usually lowest cost and a good relationship with the supplier are what decides which ingredients the LEA ends up buying. Dietary requirements take secondary consideration. When I was at school vegetarians couldn't be properly catered for because some essential ingredients contained animal fats and gelatine. At the time the LEA was unwilling to change products to meet the requirements of only a small minority of children.

Schools are often unwilling to use ingredients supplied by parents because of hygiene regulations even if the ingredients are in sealed packages.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Feb 07 10:06pm

a1ladybird

thankyou everyone for your suggestions, i'll give some of them a try in the coming weeks!
Just to clear something up i am responsible for sourcing suppliers and all ingredients as part of my job managing the kitchen, as long as we are in budget and within food standard guidelines everything is groovy!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 03 Mar 07 10:15pm

xs5veg

Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

Hi everyone, its very reassuring to hear that my son is not the only one with an extreme exclusion diet. The fact that others are managing it makes me all the more determined to keep on at the school.  All the things you saya1 ladybird, that have made it easier we have offered , even so far as giving recipes. The problem isn't helped by the school cook admitting that she doesn't understand nutrition, as she puts it aslong as they have a protein carb and veg then she's happy. I have spoken to Dfes and apparently the school food trust is preparing guidance for for food intolerances in schools. So hopefully when there is some official guidance the school may start to take note. Even my 7yr old understand nutrition better than our school cook! 

Back to your question about crumbles I use the Pure sunflower marg asit is Soya and dairy free. I usually use Doves Farm Plain Guten free flour, though I'll try the buckwheat suggestion. The crumble tends to be a bit stodgy underneath but my son loves it help soaks up the juices.

A usual tip I've picked up is a banana = an egg in cakes, an a tablespoon of tahini = an egg in savoury.   cool

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 05 Apr 07 1:27am

a1ladybird

Hi xs5veg i'm sorry your school cook is such a nightmare! just a tip you might want to pass on to her/him is that if she contacts her supplier (i know brakes do this) they will send her a list of products suitable for you childs needs

Likes (0)