forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 05 Apr 07 9:58pm

Calvyn

Member since Mon 12 Mar 07

Collapsed Meringue!!

I tried makin meringue many times.but I stoped coz I wasted alot of egg whites. My mixture was 2 egg white, whisked with a table spoon sugar and a pinch of salt. Every  Single time I make it, it browns on the top with a nice colour n all. But when I touch it, its like cotton. There are no crisps what so ever. The most unbelievable part is that it sinks right after a few minutes from a lovely bloated shape to almost as thin as a pan cake.
What gives? I wisk them by hand in room temp and add sugar n salt as soon as they start to become a little stiff. My oven however cannot be adjusted as much coz my oven is somewhat 10 years old. Im a college student and cant afford 1. However do know that my oven is 150 deg C.
Is that enough or is there nythin I am doing wrong?  mad  help

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 05 Apr 07 10:25pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Collapsed Meringue!!

Hi Calvyn....

You need to use more sugar.  The ratio should be 2oz / 50gr of caster sugar to every egg white.

Have a look on the link below.....lots of useful information.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guid … ingue.html

Hope you have better luck next time!!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 05 Apr 07 11:40pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

And also - drop your oven temperature.

Crisp meringues should not brown, but remain a pristine white!

Set your oven to the lowest possible temperature, put your meringues at the bottom of the oven, and leave the door slightly ajar.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 06 Apr 07 4:34am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

If you want a chewy texture, add a teaspoon of vinegar.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 06 Apr 07 7:18am

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Cream of Tartar and Water (a pinch of the former and a tablespoon per egg white for the latter) will also help to prevent over coagulation of the proteins and thus stabilize your meringue.

As for the browning, it does add nice flavor, but take Geoff's advice and cook the meringue blond first, and then if you want to brown it use a torch or the broiler to get the job done once it sets.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 06 Apr 07 10:56am

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Make sure your whisks and bowl are spotlessly clean.  Any grease and you'll have trouble.  I also find it best to leave it in the oven with the door left slightly ajar, after it's cooked, to cool down completely. Happy Easter.

Likes (0)