forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Apr 07 3:06pm

Donald Woo

Occupation Thai Gastronomist
From Thailand
Member since Mon 25 Dec 06

Leftovers from England 2003, Jamie's Kitchen

I've been joining this forum for a while ( since last Dec), you may notice that I wasn't very active as I just couldn't found a right place to fit in.
After I clicked into Mrs D's forum I was amazed by the conversation, it's really warm & sincere. I read the very first post by accident (when Mrs D mentioned about Jamie's kitchen or school dinner) which remind me the time  in Oxford, England, 4 years ago..... keep reading if you are interested in my leftovers.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 04 Apr 07 3:24pm

Donald Woo

From Thailand

Re: Leftovers from England 2003, Jamie's Kitchen

Food & travel mean a lot to me.
4 years ago, Jamie's Kitchen was just released  (every Thursday evening as I remember), that was also my low point in my final year in Architecture part 2. I remembered in the first term I had the lowest grade in the group, that was frustrating as I couldn't afford to repeat. Soon I was started chasing the Jamie's kitchen and impressed by the whole progress, from then I told myself 'the result doesn't matter, as long as you live full through the progress'. I disregarded all architects ( or attempt to copy their style) and turned to chefs for inspiration.
Since then I was obsessed with Jamie, Anthony Bourdain, Ferrain Adria, Gordon Ramsey & Heston Blumenthal.... not just the food recipes but the recipes of creating an enthusiastic life

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 Apr 07 7:16pm

Donald Woo

From Thailand

Architecture of Passion.
While everyone saw some super star architects as their inspiration, Jamie became my idol since then. he was the 'subject' of my final year project... The Mobile Kitchen-'' Take a look at my project inspired by Jamie.

http://www.pbase.com/trufflers/inspiration

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Apr 07 5:34pm

Donald Woo

From Thailand

In search of Passion
After graduated from the university, I went back to HK to look for a job. It wasn't easy to find a good architectural firm in HK, 'good' means the variety of projects, most of them are residential & office buildings, seriously nothing ambitious. I eventually got a position in a UK firm, which is now one of the leading firms in retail architecture around the world. 2 years has passed since then, I enjoyed the work but still felt something not really right about myself... I wonder what I was really passionate about, which can make me pour my heart into it.
Must be something to do with food & travel.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 15 Apr 07 8:39am

Donald Woo

From Thailand

I fall in love with Thailand.
After I visited Thailand 5 years ago, I was attracted by its vibrancy... the coexistence of street vendors & restaurants. I felt inspired by the place, smell, taste & most importantly: an opportunity. Believe me, Thailand is now the most creative nation after japan in Asia, people are generally calm & happy, that can not be improved by the economy(like China), but their own culture. When I strolled through the night bazaar & weekend market, I felt the energy of ambition & courage, everyone was trying to be self-sustained with their talents, from hand painted t-shirt to scrap metal models.
I wanted to do the same & jump out from the office system.
I believe life can be more exciting....... if I can accept an uncertainty.

Likes (0)