forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 15 Apr 07 9:40pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

this weeks sport.

i'm a bit of a sports fan and i'm sure i'm not alone so i thought i'd start a sports thread.

what sport do you follow? who do you follow? how did they do this week?

and guys, i know we can get a bit competitive at times, but lets try and keep it friendly, ok.

el.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 15 Apr 07 9:54pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen

Re: this weeks sport.

this week didnt go too well for me.

i'm a big football fan, thats soccer in the US.

my local spanish side, valencia lost last weekend.

my beloved tottenham hotspur then lost 1-0 to chelsea.

valencia were then knocked out of the champions league... yeh, chelsea again.

then the mighty tottenham knocked themselves out of the uefa cup with an own goal against Sevilla after a massive 3 MINUTES!!!

saturday brought us the grand national, and with it a chance for a little bet. i had 2 horses. both fell.

sunday, today, and tottenham have managed to come from behind 3 times to scrape a 3-3 draw with wigan. its a start i suppose.

only 5 games left to play in this seasons premiership, it looks like 7th place will be enough to qualify for uefa as man. u. play chelsea in the f.a. cup final.

fingers crossed!

el.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 15 Apr 07 10:30pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Rugby, because my boyfriend plays.  I haven't a clue what's going on most of the time, but I do enjoy the shorter shorts.   smile

We had three horses in the GN, two fell and Hedgehunter came in ninth, I believe.  Most disappointing.

My brother has Man Utd season tickets, but lives in Switzerland so I have them most of the time; again, however, I don't have much of an idea what's going on, and really only go for the pies and lager.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 16 Apr 07 12:03am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen

pies and lager! what a girl.  thumbsup

they actually sell bagels at tottenham. surely thats too posh for a football ground!

maybe its cos of the jewish history of the club.

i had a ticket for the uefa cup game but flights back were $$$$$$$$

glad i saved my money now!

sad

el.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 16 Apr 07 12:05am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Formula 1 motor sport is what I like to watch.

Very impressed with the young Lewis Hammilton. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 16 Apr 07 12:12am

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

We like ALL codes of Football... AFL (Australian Football league) otherwise know as aerial ping pong, Rugby league and Rugby Union.

I have two disabled boys - both have a disorder called Fragile X - one has an associated autistic disorder and the other an associated ADHD... makes life interesting in our place every day. They are only 4 months difference in age, one being my own son, the other we have fostered and who continues to live with us now that he has reached adulthood.

Football is a sport that I can take them to and they can get involved and cheer with gusto, without it highlighting their disabilities to much. Most people actually warm to their enthusiasm and energy. Geoffrey even ends up barracking for BOTH teams in his over excitement. We have been to lots of games in the national competitions, but also to the Wallabies when they played the Springboks...  and also to the Kangaroo game when they played the British Lions... We won again!!!  We have yet to attend a soccer game, but it was be fantastic to see one where Australia is playing...

We pick seats that have families around and have a mixed selection from both teams.... so we don't get caught up with the fanaticism of some of the die hard fans, or have to put up with their swearing and abuse. Most times we have chosen well.

We participate in Footy tipping... for no other reason but to have fun.

We love it....

Janine

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 16 Apr 07 3:00am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Well, it's hockey play off season and our team, The Vancouver Canucks are playing against The Dallas Stars. It's always fun and exciting during this time especially when we make it into the playoffs, lol! There are Canuck flags everywhere...

Other than hockey we like to watch tennis. Have been down to Indian Wells a few years back when Pete Sampras still played and we watched him during a warm up. Also saw Serena Williams and handful of others. Watched Pat Rafter as well, what a sight he is! Fav. ladies player is Kim Clijsters.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 16 Apr 07 7:30pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hum.... I'm with you on that one Anna... hum, rugby players!!!

Yeah, love rugby... 6 nations is a must.... always support Ireland apart when France is playing... and this year did not disappoint.. we bit ireland once again !!! ha ha ha!!!!  whistle

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 16 Apr 07 9:18pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen

i meant to mention the grand prix and forgot! go lewis hamilton! how good is it that we finally have a british driver who is actually finishing on the podium.
3 races - 3 podiums! that has to be the best start to a formula 1 career ever!

its good to hear from people who follow sports we dont get coverage on here, like ice hockey and AFL, used to get some AFL in the uk but not here in spain.
get the hockey reults tho. will keep my eyes open.

getting back into tennis a little more lately, went off it a bit when it became too serve-and-volley for my liking, i enjoy the ladies' a lot more now, specially the little russian ones.  big_smile

el.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 16 Apr 07 9:48pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Haha, the Russian girls are not so "little", el! Actually I am a little put off at ladies tennis. Davenport is gone, Hingis is not what she used to be. There's a few fine looking Spaniard men on the tour though wink

Well, we won again last night, hockey that is. Our goalie is amazing!!! We won in overtime, yeah!

Likes (0)