Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 16 Apr 07 12:47pm

marymont

Member since Mon 16 Apr 07

ricotta fritters

Hi, I've searched everywhere for a recipe for some kind of little ricotta fritters I saw Jamie cook on a live audience show, on TV last year. He just put spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture into a frypan to cook them - that is all I can remember though! Anyone else see the show? - could have been called Jamie Live...

Last edited by marymont (Mon 16 Apr 07 12:48pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 16 Apr 07 6:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: ricotta fritters

welcome to the forums marymont,
I remembered Tanya,from Scotland, posting a recipe for ricott fritters a few months ago and so I did a search and found it for you...(.thanks Tanya  thumbsup)

Re: Ricotta Fritters from Jamie's ItalyH.
Recipe as requested....

Jamie's recipe for Fried Ricotta with a little Tomato Salad

455gr/1 lb good crumbly ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, preferably organic
a large handful of mixed ripe tomatoes
2 sprigs of fresh basil
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
extra virgin olive oil
good red wine vinegar
olive oil
nutmeg, for serving

Mix the ricotta with the Parmesan, flour, a good pinch of salt and the egg.  Season with a little freshly ground black pepper and place in the fridge.

Halve the tomatoes, squeeze out the seeds and discard them.  Chop the flesh up into small chunks and drain off any excess liquid.  Chop the stalks of the basil finely and tear the leaves up roughly, then add to the tomatoes with the chilli.  Season with salt and pepper, a glug of good extra virgin olive oil and a small swig of good red wine vinegar.

Put a non-stick pan on a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil.  Drop a few spoonfuls of the ricotta mix into the pan - make sure not to overcrowd it, the pieces shouldn't be touching.  (Call the family to the table if you haven't done so already!).  Fry the ricotta cakes for a couple of minutes or until golden brown, then carefully turn them over using a palette knife or a fish slice and fry them on the other side for a further minute.

Serve at once, with a light sprinkling of sea salt, a little nutmeg (grated from a height) and a good spoonful of the chopped tomatoes on the side.  Drizzle over a little peppery extra virgin olive oil and grate over some Parmesan.  Eat while crisp and warm!!

Enjoy!!

..........................................................................................................I

I also found this recipe that was posted by a member called siberia ,from Montreal ,last November....thankyou siberia  thumbsup

Re: Any good recipes using Ricotta?TUNA AND RICOTTA FRITTERS
POLPETTE DI TONNO E RICOTTA

Once you have fried these and they have cooled, you could reheat them in a light, simple tomato sauce and serve them as a hot main course. You could also toss them with a little spaghetti – kind of like a tuna meatball.

2 pounds RUSSET POTATOES
Two 6 to 7 ounce cans of best quality OIL-PACKED TUNA, preferably ITALIAN,
preferably in OLIVE OIL
1 cup fresh RICOTTA, drained in a sieve lined with cheesecloth for an hour
1 bunch MARJORAM, leaves only
SALT and freshly ground BLACK PEPPER
3 large EGGS, separated
3 cups EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, for deep-frying
1 cup ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 cup FRESH BREAD CRUMBS
2 tablespoons chopped ITALIAN PARSLEY
1 tablespoon LEMON ZEST

In a large pot, bring 8 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until easily pierced with the point of a paring knife, about 25 minutes; drain.

Peel the potatoes and, while they are still warm, pass through a food mill into a large bowl. Immediately add the tuna, ricotta, marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg yolks and mix well to combine. Using two tablespoons, or your moistened hands, form the mixture into golf ball – sized balls and set on a baking sheet.

In a large deep saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 370 F. Meanwhile, place the flour in a shallow bowl. Lightly beat the egg whites in another bowl. Put the bread crumbs and parsley in a third bowl. Working in batches, dredge the tuna balls in the flour, then dip in the egg whites, letting the excess run off, and dredge in the bread crumbs. Carefully drop the balls into the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Serve hot.

............................................................................................
Hope these help.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 16 Apr 07 6:28pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

You have a very good memory mummza.   thumbsup

Marymont, thought you might like to try Bill Granger's recipe for Ricotta Hotcakes which are sweet rather than savoury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab … 7965.shtml

Last edited by Tanya (Mon 16 Apr 07 6:29pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 17 Apr 07 1:33pm

marymont

Member since Mon 16 Apr 07

Thank-you so much mummza! And Tanya of course. So nice of you to go looking for me - can't wait to try it now my search is over.
Hey Tanya, Scotland used to be my maiden name - and proud of it! I have tried Bill's (fellow Aussie) ricotta hotcakes, they're famous here and rightly so - absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks again, both of you.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 05 Jul 12 10:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

looking through some old threads to see if there is anything of interest to brighten up the forum !

Ricotta fritters... I had forgotten about these so I am glad I started to seach thorugh the old pages !

Anyone made these , as I remember they were really good .

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 06 Jul 12 6:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

They sound delish.  I have made ricotta and walnut fritters.  I can't recall the recipe, but our family used to love those.

Likes (0)