forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 19 Apr 07 8:42am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Re: What are your (non-recipe) food related movies?

Do you mean: "And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint" --> ***BANG*** ???

That's from the meaning of life: http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/meanlife.asp

As for food related films... only Chocolate and an Austrian film called "Tafelspitz" (That's a special cut of beef) comes to mind.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 19 Apr 07 10:21am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thanks, Lady. It was the meaning of life.

Know Chocolat but not the Austrian movie.

Maree

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#13 Sat 21 Apr 07 1:40pm

EvieMT

Member since Mon 02 Apr 07

Has any one seen "Tortilla Soup" ? I recommend it  smile
Loved "Like Water for Chocolate"!!!! Chewing mint leaves and breastfeeding my baby remind me of that movie  smile

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 21 Apr 07 2:47pm

Maree

Forum champ

Haven't seen the first movie. But "Like water for Chocolate", read the book- can't get the DVD for region 4- bummer.

Have had huge life-style changes, including being a Registered Midwife, earlier on in my career/life.

Let both of my kids wean themselves when they were ready. My (now 22yr old son) weaned himself at 13 mos. He came into my bed about 6am as usual. Fed. Kissed my breastn patted it and wished it "good bye", he said. So sudden.

My now 19 year old daughter was completely different. She was (still is) very independant. Wanted the "sip cups" at 6 months.Her mantra from then is "I want to do it myself".She'd wake me 5-6am and I'd crawl with her into the spare single bed in her room. Would wake at ~7am and she'd have peeled the wallpaper off the wall.

As for cooking, despite me having both kids alongside me during prep. "Mis en place" and cooking, my (22 year old son) will offer to cook (running a food-based business from my home- there's no separation between home and work), so any "break" (much that I love food) are very welcome.

My daughter, on the other hand, stops at a cup of tea, toast and instant coffee. When questioned, she'll claim that she will marry someone who can afford a cook or to eat out. Oh, for the naiivety of youth.

Have taken up too much space. Better go.

Maree

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 21 Apr 07 9:13pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

"Can I offer you a wafer-thin mint?" 

Heehee.

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 22 Apr 07 9:32am

Maree

Forum champ

Anna, you, sadie's and my SOH are similar- wicked (not in a Jamie "wicked" sense) but in the original "naughty" sense). Loved that Monty Python episode.

Reminded me of this Easter which co-incided with Greek Easter (my husband is 2nd generation ABG- Australa born Greek on his Dad's side). If I'd had so much as a "wafer thin mint", I'd have exploded. The Greeks are very, very generous re food. Needless to say "our" family's Easter celebrations were on Easter Monday.My in-laws celebrations were straight out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which they hate but as an "outsider" I love)- loud, noisy and double the food required. Opa! (Cheers)

Likes (0)