Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 18 Apr 07 8:48pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Cazuela

I just recieved a huge Cazuela as a gift from my boyfriend. I think it has a 24 cup capacity-it's really huge...

Does anyone-Geoff-have any nice spanish recipes for chicken,fish,rabbit etc that I can cook in it?

I am really excited to see what I can do with it so keep the recipes and suggestions coming!

I see a Spanish themed party coming! whistle

Thanks!

Last edited by confuzed (Wed 18 Apr 07 8:55pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 18 Apr 07 9:25pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Cazuela

Cazuela De Chorizo   

Yield:    8 servings

INGREDIENTS

3 tb Oil, olive
1 md Onion, finely chopped
2 ea Garlic, cloves, finely-- chopped
1/2 tspn Thyme, fresh, chopped, OR 1 pn Thyme, dried
1/2 Bay leaf
7 Chorizo, links
1 tspn Paprika
1 tspn Flour, all purpose
1/4 cup Wine, white, dry
1/3 cup Sauce, tomato
1/3 cup Water
8 small Potatoes, boiled and peeled
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped

Thinly slice chorizo. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook, stirring, just until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo or other sausage and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add paprika and flour and stir to coat chorizo. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, pour in the wine, and cook briefly until it evaporates. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Lower heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until the sauce just coats the chorizo, about 5 minutes. Serve hot over boiled potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley.

---------------------

Judiones -- Succulent Melt in Your Mouth Giant White Beans

Ingredients: (feeds 4)

1 Lb of judiones (substitute broad beans)

1 medium size onion

4 cloves of garlic

½ t pimentón agridulce (bittersweet Spanish paprika)

½ C olive oil

4 L of water

1 red or green pepper

Directions: 

1.      Soak the judiones overnight (~ 12hrs).
   2.      Chop the pepper into long strips.
   3.      Cut the onion in half & slice into thin semi-circles.
   4.      Pound the garlic in the mortar.
   5.      Put the cazuela on the stove at medium heat & add the olive oil, garlic, onion & pimentón.  Let it cook slowly for ~ 5 minutes; remove from heat. 
   6.      On a second burner put the rinsed judiones in a pot with all of the water.  Bring to a boil then lower to medium heat & let cook for approximately ½ hr.
   7.      Add the judiones to the cazuela.  Put the cazuela on medium heat & simmer for an hour.   Start tasting early; the judiones should taste tender but with a bite; add salt as required.
   8.     Enjoy this typical Spanish dish on its own or accompanied by a rich red Marques de Cáceres.

------------------

Artichokes with clams

Artichokes are a popular vegetable in Spain, especially fresh from the market. They are often served sautéed with ham or stuffed with white sauce and ham or meat, etc. Sometimes served cold, they combine well with anchovies and piquillo peppers, or with salmon and capers, or tuna fish with a good olive oil.

Servings: 4
Ingredients:

20 preserved artichoke hearts

2 finely chopped garlic cloves

2 tbsp olive oil

1 cup vegetable or fish stock

1 tbsp flour

2 tbsp dry, white wine

24 clean clams
Preparation:

Drain the artichoke hearts. Brown the garlic cloves in hot oil in a deep frying pan or earthenware dish. Add the flour then mix in the white wine and the stock. Add the clams and cook until they open. Then add the artichoke hearts and cook for a few minutes before serving

----------------------

Sizzled Shrimp
Gambas al Ajillo

In tapa bars this is usually prepared in individual servings. The tiny earthenware ramekin (cazuela) is placed directly on a gas or electric burner. It can be made in a larger quantity, but never sizzles quite so satisfactorily.

Servings: 1
Ingredients:

10 medium raw shrimp
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 tiny piece chili pepper
Pinch of pimentón (Spanish paprika) (optional)
Bread

Preparation:

Peel the shrimp, discarding head and tail. Put the oil, garlic, and chili in a small flameproof ramekin. Put it on the heat until the oil is very hot. Add the shrimp and cook just until they turn pink and curl slightly, about two minutes. Remove from heat, add the paprika and serve immediately, while still sizzling, accompanied by bread to soak up the flavorful sauce.

------------------------------

Estufado de Codero y verduras
(Farmhouse Stew with Lamb & vegetables)

Ingredients

Olive Oil
1 ½ pounds of lamb loin and shin
5 inch piece of chorizo sausage (sliced)
3 inch piece of black pudding sausage (sliced)
½ cup of pancetta or fatty smoked bacon (sliced)
1 cup of peeled and thinly sliced carrots
1 cup of celery (chopped with leafy tops)
½ cup of turnips (peeled and diced)
½ cup of chopped tinned tomatoes
1 glass of dry white wine
1 pint of fresh stock or water
1-teaspoon of saffron threads soaked in 2 teaspoons of water
8 whole black peppercorns

1 whole bulb of garlic (with skins on)
Equipment

The Spanish use a cazuela pot when cooking this dish as this is the most traditional method. A cazuela is an earthernware dish that can be used either on top of the oven over a gas flame or for baking inside the main oven. Remember to leave the dish to cool before washing as it may crack due to extreme, rapid changes in temperature. A deep frying pan is a suitable alternative to cook this recipe, however it would be worth transferring the ingredients into a more attractive hot dish before serving at the table.

Method

1. Coat the bottom of the cazuela with olive oil and heat over a medium flame. Add the loin and shin meat and brown.

2. Add the vegetables layer by layer and slowly mix in with the meat.

3. Add the chorizo, black pudding and pancetta to the pot, then stir in the white wine, saffron and black peppercorns.

4. Add 2 cups of stock or water and bring to the boil. Once the juices are bubbling turn the down the heat to low and simmer. Place the whole bulb of garlic in the centre of the dish. The idea is to remove the garlic just before serving but some chefs choose to keep the garlic in so they can nibble on it with bread as ana accompaniment to the main course.

5. Simmer on a low heat for 21/2 - 3 hours, gradually adding the remainder of the stock or water so that the ingredients are covered at all times.

Serve with a salad and a crusty farmhouse loaf.

Serves 4

---------------------------

Bacalao al Pil-Pil

Salt Cod in an Olive oil Emulsion

Bacalao al Pil-Pil is a classic Basque fare. After you prepare the garnish and simmer the cod for several minutes, you make the sauce by engaging the cod in a 'dance' with the olive oil to create an emulsion that looks very much like a mayonnaise. The dance is not without challenge, but even the patient novice cook can produce an excellent result.

To ensure success, bear in mind the following rules: Use only olive oil; other fats will not result in the superior emulsion this dish demands. Use the best salt cod you can find or salt it yourself. Use a cazuela or similar earthenware cooking vessel that can be used on the stove top. And finally, when you are ready to place the fish in the cazuela to begin the sauce, make sure the salt cod, olive oil, and cazuela are all lukewarm.

* Serves 6

Ingredients

* 2 pounds salt cod, desalted
    * 1 1/2 cups olive oil
    * 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    * 1 small dried hot chile, seeded and cut into rings

Preparation

Drain the salt cod and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 3-inch squares, leaving the skin intact. When cooking later in olive oil, the skin will release the needed gelatin to help emulsify the sauce.

In a 12-inch cazuela, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and the chile and fry, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the garlic starts to turn golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic and chile to a small bowl and reserve for garnish. Reserve the oil in the cazuela.

Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the cod pieces to the oil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, being careful not to let the oil become too hot. The oil should just barely sizzle around the edges of the fish pieces. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cod to a plate and then pour the olive oil into a wide heatproof bowl to cool. When the cod is cool enough to handle, remove any errant bones, leaving the pieces as intact as possible.

Return the cod pieces, skin side up and in a single layer, to the cazuela. At this point, make sure that the cazuela, the cod, and the reserved olive oil are all lukewarm.

Place the cazuela over medium heat and begin by spooning 2 or 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over the cod. It its here that the dance begins: using both hands, rotate the cazuela in circular motions over the burner. Continue the motion until the first drops of oil start to emulsify. You will know that the emulsion is beginning when the oil drops turn pale and cling to one another. Eventually the whole sauce will turn pale white.

Continue to rotate the cazuela, interrupting only to add the olive oil gradually, spoonful by spoonful, until all the oil is incorporated into the emulsion. Depending on the quality of the cod and the gelatin content of its skin, it will take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to make the sauce.

Divide the cod evenly among individual plates and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with the reserved garlic and chile. Serve hot or warm.

-------------------------------

CATALAN CHICKEN A LA SIDRA

The recipe combines all the great fall flavors, apples, nuts and wild mushrooms.

Serves 4
¼ cup Spanish olive oil
1 Chicken, cut in pieces and dusted with salt & pepper
2-3 Onions, chopped
½ lb Wild Mushrooms such as chanterelles, sliced
1 jar Molí de Pomerí Picada
1 bottle sidra (sparkling apple cider from Asturias in Northern Spain)

Cover the bottom of a large cazuela (32 cm) with olive oil & brown the chicken. and reduce the heat, slowly cooking them down to a sofrito (almost a paste). Be patient.
Add the mushrooms and cook, adding oil if necessary and increasing the heat.
When mushrooms are cooked, stir in the picada and return the chicken to the cazuela, adding sidra to cover (in our cazuela, this takes the entire bottle). Cook for 45 minutes. Top with slices of toasted baguette.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 18 Apr 07 9:34pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Almost forgot - don't forget to soak your cazuela in water fir 6 hiurs before using on heat.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 18 Apr 07 9:44pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)

Thanks Geoff-kind of a had a feeling that you had some recipes up your sleeve! wink

I have bought loads of the smaller versions of cazuelaes on previous trips to Spain, but never had a big one like this before! Nice little pressie to recive on a dull Wednesday...

I'm not much of an eat meater so more recipes with chicken,rabbit and fish are appreciated. Oh and vegetarien ones too-I love veggies!

I bought 2 cook books the other day where one of them focus on the kitchen of Spain and Portogal-weird coincidence! big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 18 Apr 07 11:01pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi there! Is a cazuela a dish like this: http://images.gourmondo.de/medias/VnCVR … sie-30.jpg ? I've brought some small ones and a big one back from Spain some years ago. The small ones are in constant use but didn't know what to do with the big one before...

For the small ones my favorite recipes are gambas al pil pil (gambas with loads of garlic, chili and olive oil) and choizo in cidre  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 18 Apr 07 11:40pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)

Hi LadyRed!

Yes that is a cazuela! Just like you I have loads of the small ones that I use for various tapas etc...

Now I have this one too; http://www.tienda.com/table/products/ca-16.html

Huge!!!

Might have to buy some more stuff from that site! whistle

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 19 Apr 07 11:31am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Confuzed!
Wow this one looks really cool and huge! Great for a nice Spanish party with some friends  thumbsup  First Tapas followed by something cooked in the cazuela!

Mine is a bit smaller, just about 30 cm in diameter and I must admit I only used it for plating up tapas until now  oops

Thanks Geoff for sharing the recipes! Especially like the sound of the catalan chicken and the beans wink You really encouraged me to try out actually cooking in the big cazuela now  smile

Likes (0)