Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 17 Apr 07 9:40am

jameslr

Occupation Coach Driver
From Brisbane QLD AUSTRALIA
Member since Tue 17 Apr 07

Weekend Cook

Hi Everyone

I have been inspired by Jamie to expand my cooking experience from cooking on Sundays to give my wife Julie a break from the kitcken.
My speciality was collecting all leftovers and making a big stir fry,sometimes,it work,sometimes dog food. At least Winston (Maltese) ate with no complaints.

Since Christmas,one of my daughters bought me a copy of Jamies Dinners. Well,how easy was that,I found that the recipes were easy to follow and more importantly easy to cook,with great results.

My favourite,according to my wife and girls, Spinnach and Ricotta Cannelloni.But,mine did not look like the photo. I felt there was too liquid.
I always follow the recipe to the exact measurements.

All the results were great to eat and I guess that's the idea,but,I would like them to look exactly as the photo.

I have tried a lot of the recipes and I love them.

Any solutions ?

Regards

Jim Rankine

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 17 Apr 07 7:05pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Weekend Cook

wave welcome to the forums Jim!

I LOVE that cannelloni recipe, too!
Don't worry too much about the pictures, as long as it tastes right!!! I love cooking and cook a lot, but it rarely ever looks like the pictures.

As to the watery consistency: It could be that the spinach was still too wet from washing (if the filling is too watery).
If it's the sauce it might be the brand of tomatoes or the fat content of the creme fraiche. 
I never had the problem, but last time the tomato sauce was too watery (before I put it on the pasta) and I had to rescue it with tomato paste. I am not sure why it happened. I am assuming it was because it was another brand of tomatoes or I did not cook them long enough. The tomato paste (the condensed stuff) helped, as it thickened the sauce and enhanced the tomato flavor, too.

I am glad that you love the recipes in the book and enjoy your Sunday cooking! Don't be discouraged when it doesn't look like the pictures, please!!!

For more recipes check out the recipe swap on this page, too wink

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Apr 07 9:40am

jameslr

Occupation Coach Driver
From Brisbane QLD AUSTRALIA
Member since Tue 17 Apr 07

Hi Susanne
Thank you for the tips. I have taken notes.I know that Jamie always talks about the quality of the ingredients and I will take his advise on board when purchasing.
Regards Jim

SusanneH wrote:

wave welcome to the forums Jim!

I LOVE that cannelloni recipe, too!
Don't worry too much about the pictures, as long as it tastes right!!! I love cooking and cook a lot, but it rarely ever looks like the pictures.

As to the watery consistency: It could be that the spinach was still too wet from washing (if the filling is too watery).
If it's the sauce it might be the brand of tomatoes or the fat content of the creme fraiche. 
I never had the problem, but last time the tomato sauce was too watery (before I put it on the pasta) and I had to rescue it with tomato paste. I am not sure why it happened. I am assuming it was because it was another brand of tomatoes or I did not cook them long enough. The tomato paste (the condensed stuff) helped, as it thickened the sauce and enhanced the tomato flavor, too.

I am glad that you love the recipes in the book and enjoy your Sunday cooking! Don't be discouraged when it doesn't look like the pictures, please!!!

For more recipes check out the recipe swap on this page, too wink

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 19 Apr 07 11:45am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I love that recipe too. Another filling we sometimes use is left over bbq chicken, pancetta, roated capsicum in a white sauce with some cheese. Sounds weird but it is nice. also makes a good pizza topping

Likes (0)