forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Apr 07 1:54pm

LouiseAlex

From CAMBS.
Member since Thu 31 Mar 05

Mum, in need of advice please

Hi
I am a Mummy of 4 and I find it difficult to find meals which suit all of the family.  One thing I have discovered is that most of  my children  enjoy fajitas (even my toddler).  The problem I have is that my 10 year old finds things far too spicey, he has aspergers and I think that makes him over-sensitive to strong tastes ( he also finds certain textures difficult).

I am torn though because my other children love this meal and I would like my son to enjoy it too. Does anybody have any ideas for creating a tasty yet mild flavour for fajitas to keep everyone happy?  I would appreciate simplicity too, I am not the World's best in the kitchen.

Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Apr 07 3:05pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Mum, in need of advice please

Instead of fahita's, you might try a sort of taco bar with several toppings from which to choose. This would allow each one to choose his own.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Apr 07 5:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

LouiseAlex, welcome to the forums, smile

I know the problem !! my 4 children are now young adults and eat basically anything, although when they were little they were always good at eating most things ,there was often 1 or 2 of them that did not realy enjoy what I had cooked.

Fahitas was one of the things that I had a little difficulty with and we always had ....meat cooked with spices /sauce...meat  cooked without spices/sauce ( and later meat cooked with a little bit of watered down sauce!!!) veg with spices/sauce..veg without sauce/sauce, things like mushrooms cooked seperatly,salad in seperate dishes, accompniments ( soured cream, guachamole etc. in seperate dishes !!
Seems like a lot of work when you read it in a list!!

Dishes of foods were always put on the table and it was a self assembly supper !!  great fun !

However ,this would cover things like food preferance without drawing attention to it.

I know that many of the children/adults that have ASD there are food issues, I have a theory that the problem is not just confined to texture and taste, but also, sometimes,  the colour of some foods.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 19 Apr 07 8:27pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Yeah, tacos are a great idea.... just put a few different options on the table (lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, grated cheese, guacamole, onion etc. + the minced beef with taco seasoning...) and let everybody make their own tacos..  thumbsup

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 19 Apr 07 11:53pm

LouiseAlex

From CAMBS.
Member since Thu 31 Mar 05

Thank you for the welcome and some great ideas, I really do appreciate it!  Thanks again.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 21 Apr 07 5:35pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

Hi,

Its quite common for kids with Aspergers to be sensitive to strong tastes - could you take a portion of the filling out for him and then add the spices in at the end for you and the other kids? Or you could save some leftover roast chicken and let him have that in his fajitas, rather than the spicy filling?

Otherwise, letting him add lots of extra guacamole (I make mine really simply by whizzing up a couple of really soft avocados with a good squeeze of lime) or sour cream (tho personally, I prefer natural yoghurt) might help to combat the spiciness?

SP

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 21 Apr 07 8:43pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Apart from the "do it/make it yourself" advice, offered in an earlier post, why not lose the meat-seasoning sachet?

Have Tabasco on the table (mainly for the adults). Kids can,once again, help themselves to it (with guidance).

Kids love to create in the kitchen (mine at least).

Having them create their own meals is a sure-fire way of helping them with food choices. That 2/3 is salad veggies is a HUGE positive.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)