forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 21 Apr 07 8:06pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: catering for kids

Kate, you're asking the wrong person. Since my kids (aged 22 and 19) were not fully breast-fed after 13 and 11 months, they ate what we ate, albeit with the Tabasco and fish sauce out of their reach.They both grew up with me watching and reading Jamie. My son wanted to get a place in Jamie's band before his kitchen.He's memorised Jamie's style and when he asks to cook (stiffled yippee- cooking for a living from home takes the gloss away from family/guest cooking), though as mentioned in an earlier thread, he's grown up with me watching and reading JO. Thinks that more is better-chilli and garlic poisoning for a day or so.

My 19yr old daughter watches more "free to air" cooking programmes depending on her Uni timetable and need for a break from study. Making a cup of tea/instant coffee are her limits. Were mine at her age,too. Her rationale is too embarassing to repeat.

Enjoy your weekend,
Maree

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#12 Sat 21 Apr 07 9:11pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

hello Kate: here in argentina, one common food in parties are "empanadas", it's a dough with round shape, you can fill with the things you like: meat, veggies, ham and cheese, etc, then you fold it, press the borders and cook in the oven, they are really good, specially because kids can take them with their hand, just eat and go, let me know if you need a recipe for the dough, good luck!

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 22 Apr 07 9:12am

Maree

Forum champ

Have tried them. Yum! Much like a Cornish pastie or an individual calzone. Yum, yum, yum- perfect hand-food for lunch boxes (with a frozen fruit juice "popper") to keep it fresh in the lunch box!

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 22 Apr 07 9:18am

Maree

Forum champ

Btw, what dough recipe do you use?

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 23 Apr 07 1:38am

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

hi, maree: in fact, i buy it in any food market as it is a common food here, but there are some wonderful recipes, and each region has a different speciality,  i'll look for some, translate and tape it for you to try, bye

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 18 May 07 4:42am

Shari H

From Australia
Member since Tue 24 Apr 07

How about steamed chinese dumplings, can be prepared in advance, small and tasty.  Nachos is always a big favourite with my kids too.

Cheese biscuits cut into shapes. Even cinnamon toast cut into shapes is also a possibility.  Little wraps can be fun, tie up with chives.

It is funny, it is often more in the presentation that draws children than what the food being served actually is.  My kids scoff at the idea of a toasted sandwich for lunch on the weekend if it is presented on a plate... but if I say they can have a lunch order and I write a list on a blackboard and they have to submit a written order on a paper bag, they think its great. (This also saves on washing up which is great with the current drought!)

Little quiches are good too.  Perhaps tempura mushrooms and strangely enough tempura pumpkin is a real favourite with my kids.

Do you really want to go overboard, how about a chocolate fountain with fruit for dessert?

Good luck.

Likes (0)