forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 07 Apr 07 2:04pm

zane

Occupation student, chef, friend, big brother, all round good guy
From Benoni, South Africa
Member since Sun 21 Jan 07

I can't meringue

Please save me, My kitchen is home to flopping meringues. Please someone give me a fool proof, easy step by step meringue guide.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 07 Apr 07 3:56pm

Moose

From Canada
Member since Fri 20 Aug 04

Re: I can't meringue

First of all the egg whites should be at room temperature and have to be free from even the slightest trace of yolk as it contains fat.

Fat is the #1 enemy of meringue

Your bowl, preferably metal, stainless is fine but copper is best, don't use plastic, should be spotlessly clean, oil and fat free. same applies to your whisk or beaters.

Beating the egg whites is the second step in making a meringue, there are two things to remember: add the sugar gradually, and beat the foam long enough. The meringue is sufficiently beaten when the sugar is dissolved (rub a little of the meringue between your finger tips to feel for crystals), and stiff peaks are formed when the beaters are lifted.

The addition of a quarter to a half teaspoon of cream of tartar assists in giving firmness to the meringue.

Good Luck  smile

Last edited by Moose (Sat 07 Apr 07 4:00pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 07 Apr 07 4:53pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

The remarks from Moose are all worth taking note of,but to be honest I use a glass bowl and that seems fine.  My method has always proved fool proof if you want to give it a bash:
3 large egg whites
175g caster sugar. serves 6
Pre heat oven gas mark 2 elec. 150c

Place egg whites in a large bowl (Spotlesslessly clean and grease free).
Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and you can turn your bowl upside down without them sliding out. ( It's very important not to overbeat the eggs as otherwise they will start to collapse)
When they're ready, start yo whisk the sugar in approx. 25g at a time whisking after each addition until all the sugar has been used up.
Use a metal spoon to spread onto your baking sheet and be gentle as you don't want to remove all the air.

Place on a greased baking sheet, or I prefer silicone paper and once placed in the oven turn the heat down to gas 1, elec. 140c and leave to cook for one hour.  Then turn the heat off but leave the merangue in the oven till completely cold. 
Make it the night before and leave it to dry out completely in the oven overnight.
Hope this helps.

I'm sure there are some Great Pavlova Queens from down under that can also advice  -come on ladies    big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 09 Apr 07 12:26pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Stupid questions:

#1: do you grease the silicone paper at all?

#2: is silicone paper the same as baking paper.

I havent used baking paper much except for when I make biscuits, or to line the bottom of spring form cake tins.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 09 Apr 07 1:26pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

No, don't grease your baking paper and yes they are both the same.  If you use GREASEPROOF paper then you must grease it

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 09 Apr 07 3:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums zane smile

For the interest of your own safety, please will you edit your posting and remove your email address.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 22 Apr 07 3:58pm

zane

Occupation student, chef, friend, big brother, all round good guy
From Benoni, South Africa
Member since Sun 21 Jan 07

Perfect Meringue... Thanks a million
  sad  neutral  hmm  wink  tongue big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 22 Apr 07 7:07pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

I'd also make sure there is no butter/marge residue on your bowl, and that you are using the right type of sugar.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 26 Apr 07 1:17pm

Shari H

From Australia
Member since Tue 24 Apr 07

Zane,

Here is a failsafe meringue recipe, enjoy:

2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons boiling water

Place all ingredients in basin, beat until of meringue consistence.

Bake on non-stick baking paper on a tray in a preheated moderate oven preheated to 180 deg C for 1 hour.  Leave to cool completely in oven.

Cheers,
Shari H smile

Likes (0)