Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 30 Apr 07 10:32pm

saltedm8

Forum champ
Occupation Website designer
From Kent, England
Member since Fri 11 Mar 05

windows messenger 'fake' email

it has come to my attention that there is an email being ( un-knowingly ) passed around to members of jamies site

please be assured that the following email message you may have recieved or about to recieve is FAKE

hi guys
Sorry to break the news, but looks like all of those warnings were real! The use of msn and mail will cost money from summer 2007. If you send this message to 18 different people from your list your little msn icon will
become blue and that will make it free for you. If you dont believe me go on (www.msn.com) and see it yourself. Dont foward this message, copy paste it so people will actually read it.> Hey it is Andy and john the directors of MSN, sorry for the interruption but msn is closing down. this is because too many inconsiderate people are taking up all the name (eg making up lots of different accounts for just one person), we only have 578 names left. If you would like to close your account, DO NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE ON. If you would like to keep your account, then SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. This is no joke, we will be shutting down the servers. Send it on, thanks. WHO EVER DOES NOT SEND THIS MESSEAGE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE
CLOSED AND YOU WILL COST £10.00 A MONTH TO USE. SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. NOW YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THIS or REPLAY. COPY THE WHOLE EMAIL. GO BACK TO YOUR INBOX AND CLICK ON NEW. AND
PASTE THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION Anyways once you've sent this message to at least 18 contacts, your msn dude will become blue. please copy and paste don't forward cos people won't take notice of it

i found it was fake in two ways,

1 ) the www.msn.com link leads you to this address http://www.msn.com:80/ - it looks the same to the unknowing, but the :80 makes it a totally different address

you can see here the domain name details of the real msn and this 'fake' one

2 )
real - http://whois.domaintools.com/msn.com
fake - http://whois.domaintools.com/msn80.com

please do not pass this message around to anyone, if you get it, delete it

- its someones idea of a joke - msn80.com is registered in beijing, a popular source for things like this

cheers  whistle

Last edited by saltedm8 (Mon 30 Apr 07 11:14pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 30 Apr 07 10:47pm

singingchef

Member since Mon 06 Nov 06

Re: windows messenger 'fake' email

cheers for letting us know that m8,

thank u xx

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 30 Apr 07 10:50pm

karetringula

From switzerland
Member since Tue 15 Nov 05

thanks,will pay attention!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 30 Apr 07 10:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

as you all know.. lol  I am such a computer wizz...I might not even notice that I'd been sent such an email.. lol .. thanks for letting us know I will watch my 'mail box' and deleete it if I spot it.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 30 Apr 07 11:06pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

OMG ive recieved this and sent it to most of you  shocked  thought it was real oops  oops  oops

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 30 Apr 07 11:13pm

saltedm8

Forum champ
From Kent, England

dont worry, its not dangerous, its just a bit of a pain  lol wink

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 30 Apr 07 11:20pm

young mum

Forum champ

Thanks sent what you have said to all concerned  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 30 Apr 07 11:22pm

young mum

Forum champ

BTW, Salty, have a look on this what were doing at the moment  lol : One line story  by Mrs G.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 30 Apr 07 11:31pm

saltedm8

Forum champ
From Kent, England

looks very entertaining, a great idea, i think i will add something myself  thumbsup  lol

Last edited by saltedm8 (Mon 30 Apr 07 11:31pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 01 May 07 12:00am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi, Salty!!  Thanks for the heads up.

Likes (0)