forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 May 07 3:28am

Dandi

Occupation Banker
From Qualicum Beach BC Canada
Member since Thu 03 May 07

Outdoor fireplace

This is most likely one of the most bizarre questions; however, my husband watched an episode of Jamie at Home whereby he was cooking outside in a brick fire place. Where can we see it again, or at least a photo of the fireplace? It is exactly what we would like to build on our property! Thanks Dandi

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 May 07 4:25am

edithmm

Occupation teacher aide /business partener
From Hawke's Bay NZ
Member since Sat 31 Mar 07

Re: Outdoor fireplace

Suggest you try your local DYI store they have plans,if they maybe able to help you. If no luck you just have to wait till the books out
How about record the shows as he has used the outdoor fireplace afew times now.
Good Luck!!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 03 May 07 6:16am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Dandi - the technical term is woodfire oven.

The only probl;em is getting the ceiling right, this can be very difficult and is best done by an expert. Also they use special bricks for the insode of the oven.

If you google 'woodfire Oven ' you will find heaps of sites that have kits and plans and even artisans who make them for you.

Goodluck.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 03 May 07 12:44pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Haven't seen the show, of courss (in England we will have to wait until the Autumn sad )

However, I have looked into building an outdoor fireplace/oven myself - here are a few links to relevant websites - maybe you will find something appropriate there.

http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/ … _oven.html

http://traditionaloven.com

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 03 May 07 11:59pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I helped my Dad build one at the house i grew up in.  It ended up being a monstrosity. cement block footing went down 5 ft .  the top was higher than our house,  about 14 -15 ft high.  It  was the best BBQ ever though, plus great for baking. I never could figure out why he wanted it so massive though.  roll

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Fri 04 May 07 2:35am

Dandi

Occupation Banker
From Qualicum Beach BC Canada
Member since Thu 03 May 07

Thank you all so much for your responses. We don't actually have any of the channels that Jamie's show appears on, so we are stuck waiting until we are in a hotel room somewhere! Yes the only people who will hang ot in a Hotel room to watch the Food network...must be Canadian!!! Also didn't know there was a technical term for the thing, I wanted to keep warm under our Pergola, my husband wants to cook in it...I'm just going with the flow. Thanks again

Likes (0)