forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 07 May 07 9:00am

Omni

Member since Mon 02 Aug 04

How do you make McDonald's-type fries?

Every recipe I can find tells you how to make fries that are "nice and crispy"...  but I HATE crispy fries.  The best fries I've ever had are from McDonald's; pale, smooth, not mushy but totally non-crispy, not mealy or greasy.  Can anyone tell me how to make fries like that?  We've got the frozen pre-cut potatoes from Ore Ida for now, and we're using beef lard because it gives the best flavor;  I'd truly appreciate knowing how to combine the 2 into tasty fries.  Thanks!!   mrgreen  mrgreen  mrgreen

(Who's Omni?  You can find me here:  http://omniverse.blogspot.com/)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 07 May 07 8:47pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: How do you make McDonald's-type fries?

I suppose you just don't fry them long enough to get crispy....   hmm

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 07 May 07 9:15pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Or leave them somewhere warm to go soggy.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 07 May 07 9:40pm

Sabs

Forum champ
Member since Mon 09 Aug 04

Omni, I hope you are joking but I fear you are serious about this?
roll

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 07 May 07 10:41pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Sabs:  lol  lol  (Didn't want to say it, but my thoughts exactly.... - sorry, omni....)

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 07 May 07 10:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

just what I though too...sorry Omni  lol

McDonalds fries , to me look, ( sorry Mc Donalds no offence meant, but this is what I think they look like  whistle !!),....they  look like they are made from cooked and mashed potato thats been frozen and sliced into skinny chips then coated in something, and fried from frozen.
They are a bit soft , I would imagne, as they are cooked in large batches , salted and then put onto a hot drainer tray.
They are definatly not my farvotrite sort of chip and for that reason I would not try to replicate them at home!!

I do not think that you will be able to make  similer  at home unless you bought a frozen type of skinny fries.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 07 May 07 11:01pm

Omni

Gosh, to read the replies, you'd think that McDonald's fries WEREN'T the best-selling in the world, lol.  Is there anyone here who fries well enough to be able to give me a proven method of producing the ones I want, or is this the wrong forum to go to for cooking help?

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 07 May 07 11:11pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Omni, please don't be offended! This is the right forum for cooking help, just that most of us are a little of McDonald's. Sorry!

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 07 May 07 11:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Omni. This is a good forum for cooking help, but I think what you are after is not about how well people can fry  or not , but how /what to use to make such a chip/french fry.

I gave you what I thought was a good awnser... McDonalds, as far as I know have frozen fries that are cooked in large batches.
Like a lot of these fast food places the cooking is done at a set temperature, for a set amount of time, using the same quantities each time..e.g. one bag of french fries to each cooking basket.
They take the basket of chips, tip it out onto the drainer tray , scatter the fries with salt and they get a bit tossed aboug each time a little bag of fries is filled with the scoopy thing that they use.

I honestly do not think that you will be able to achieve a similar taste at home.
I do not think that they use beef lard to fry the fries in, I think that it is an oil that they use. but I may be wrong there. Harry Ramsden's fish and chip shops as far as I am aware use beef fat to cook their chips, but again I might be wrong there as well.

There are many people who like McDonnalds , my husband thinks they are awsome as does one of my daughters, but , I can't count myself amongst them, however, if on a journey a disision is made to stop and eat at McDonalds although not keen, I will eat some of the fries, I do not eat meat or fish and vegetarian food there are not exactly busting out of their menu.

I still think that your best bet is to try various makes of thin frozen chips to see how they turn out, I suggest this as fresh potato chips that you make at home from fresh potatos taste very different to those in McDonalds.

,..you could try one thing though...after you have peeled the potates and cut them into very skinny chips...soak them in cold water for a good hour in the fridge then strain them, rinse them, dry them very well on clean 'teatowels' /'dish drying cloths'  and once they are properly dry them fry them in hot oil. Try salting them as soon as you have cooked them .

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 08 May 07 1:19am

Omni

The original McDonald's fries were cooked in beef lard;  the fries we've tried to make taste exactly like that, but we can't zero in on the time and temp that'll land us in the narrow zone between undercooked and crisp.  It's also possible that how the potatoes are handled might make a difference;  I've seen many recipes suggesting soaking fries in cold water before frying to make them MORE crispy, but I want NON-crispy, so should the potatoes be WARM before they're fried, or salted and let sit pre-frying  to remove moisture?  If anyone knows, please share your wisdom.   big_smile

Likes (0)