forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 14 May 07 2:20pm

lukeb

Occupation chef
From malta
Member since Mon 14 May 07

new recipes with a sweeter touch

Would  recipes with fruit be good for eruope and younger kids, would kids like this?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 14 May 07 2:22pm

lukeb

Occupation chef
From malta

Re: new recipes with a sweeter touch

Its a good question to ask to jamie???? would kids in eruope like salads and main courses dishes with fruity flavour!!!!!!!!?????? roll  roll  shocked  yikes

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 14 May 07 2:55pm

lukeb

Occupation chef
From malta

What do you think???? A salad with these ingredients......

Shredded rucola with avocada.... toast breadcrumbs, cherry tomates, dried apricotes and a thick rasberry vinegrette..... and raisins as a garnishment!!!!

enjoy

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 14 May 07 10:33pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Can't see it being a problem - Europeans have quite eclectic tastes.

Whether the kidswill like it depends on individual tastes.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 15 May 07 1:06am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I agree with geoff.
Lots of children here love apple pancakes, the "hawaii" combination (ham, pineapple and cheese) - and that is only the children who don't particularly like veggies, fruit and "new" food wink

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 15 May 07 1:09am

linaferro

Occupation Translator
From Brazil
Member since Sat 21 Apr 07

Children also love bananas, generally...

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 15 May 07 8:54am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Sweet fruity dishes are actually very popular throughout tge world.

In the UK, for instance, we have the traditional marriage of pork and apples, or pork and prunes - and what could be more '70's than gammon and pineapple (with a preserved cherry in tge ring). Duck or goose is often served with a fruit sauce. Venison is wonderful with a chocolate or fruit sauce. Lamb and redcurrant jelly are just as popular as lamb with mint sauce. Fruit is very often included in stuffings or coatings for roasts. Fish and citrus fruits are often married. Even the traditional English preserves such as chutneys and pckles often contain fruit, and the archetypical "Brown Sauce" always contains fruit.

And, of course, we haven't even mentioned the dishes we have adopted from other cuisines - Chinese sweet and sour or sweet and fruity dishes. Mediterranean tagines, with dates and honey, Indian dishes with mango, melon & parma ham etc. etc..

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 15 May 07 1:43pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

In German cuisine (and I gather in Skandinavia, too) lingonberry sauce / jam is often served with meat dishes - mostly game wink

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 15 May 07 4:56pm

Andyj

Occupation Head gardener
From Lewes, East Sussex, UK
Member since Tue 10 Jan 06

I love adding fruits to stir fries, salads, kebabs etc....pineapple and mango are my favourite but oranges, apples, kiwis, bananas and grapes all go down a treat too.

By the way Lukeb....i see you're a chef in Malta. I'll be staying at the Qawra palace hotel in October for a week....is it any good ?  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 17 May 07 6:18pm

lukeb

Occupation chef
From malta

Its a  good hotel but as it has been for over 15- 20 years its a bit old, althought it a very good place... Qawra its by the sea, hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars.... you will enjoy it!!!!! for sure!!!

Likes (0)