forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 03 Jun 07 8:07pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

bittersweet vs. semisweet

I always though that bittersweet and semisweet chocolate were the same thing. Now I read a recipe that called for either.

Now I wonder if anyone can tell me which is sweeter/more bitter. Can you give a percentage of cocoa solids for each, please? Thank you!!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 03 Jun 07 8:40pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

Re: bittersweet vs. semisweet

hi, susanneh, have you tried here? www.foodsubs.com, i don't look it for you, because i'm afraid i can missunderstand something, hope this is useful, kisses crossed

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 03 Jun 07 8:56pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Thanks Vivi.  smile
Wonder why I did not think of foodsubs myself. oops

However, it says bittersweet chocolate has over 50%, but I don't quite get the explanation of semisweet in relation to that.  Sorry... oops Can someone help, please?

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 04 Jun 07 9:59pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

no one?  sad  kiss

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 04 Jun 07 10:19pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Hi, I may not have the right answer, but here's my opinion.

Semi-sweet in the US would be the chocolate chips that I would add to my cookies.

Bittersweet chocolate I would NOT put into my cookies, but I would melt to put into a cake to make it chocolate-y or for a frosting for example.

But, as I read this:  http://www.ochef.com/351.htm  I guess I'm wrong....

whistle

"What's the difference between semisweet and bittersweet chocolate?
The only differences between semisweet and bittersweet chocolate are the amount of sugar and the amount of chocolate "liquor" found in each. As you might expect, bittersweet chocolate is less sweet than semisweet chocolate and has a more intense chocolaty flavor.

The US FDA has written regulations regarding the use of the terms Milk Chocolate, Semisweet Chocolate and Bittersweet Chocolate.

All of our chocolate bars can be classified as bittersweet according to the US FDA regulations, due to their high cocoa content, however, because of the exquisite time honored craftsmanship that goes into our chocolate, all of the Chocolove flavors with 55% or lower, taste more like a semi-sweet but have all the benefits of a bittersweet." from the website:  http://www.chocolove.com/faq_product.htm

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 04 Jun 07 11:16pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Montana wrote:

Semi-sweet in the US would be the chocolate chips that I would add to my cookies.

Bittersweet chocolate I would NOT put into my cookies, but I would melt to put into a cake to make it chocolate-y or for a frosting for example.

Aaaah! thumbsup 

Thank you Montana! Your explanation already gave me a good idea, and the text you copied and links helped, too! For the foreign language speaker both bittersweet and semisweet sounded like sweet, but also not whistle. I guess it makes sense that bittersweet is more bitter (more cocoa, less sugar) though wink

kiss Thanks

Likes (0)