forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Jul 07 3:23am

Hotdog

Occupation Webmaster
From Auckland, NZ
Member since Wed 22 Jun 05

Lime leaves in Thai dishes

I'm growing a lime tree, primarily for the juice from the fruit and secondarily for the fruit and leaves in Thai cooking.  The little beauty is about 18 months old now and I have started using the leaves in some dishes.

What I wonder though... is it better to use the pale fresh leaves from the top of the tree, or the deep dark green leaves from the earlier growth?

Also, although I doubt there are any arborists here, if you know... whether the least harm to the tree would come from taking leaves from either the lower, older branches or the newer branches at the top?

Thanks for any insights.

ps - it ain't an authentic kaffir lime tree - just a local Malaysian version, but to me they're pretty swappable.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Jul 07 4:35am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Lime leaves in Thai dishes

As long as you don't strip the tree there shouldn't be an issue where you take the leaves from.

Treat it and care for it like you would any citrus.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 12 Jul 07 4:53am

Hotdog

Occupation Webmaster
From Auckland, NZ

Thanks Cindy.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 14 Jul 07 12:52am

Hotdog

Occupation Webmaster
From Auckland, NZ

I just had a thought and wanted to mention for anyone else's benefit... the leaves are wonderful in stews, soups and other curries - used similarily to curry leaves and bay leaves.

Every home should have their own Little Lime Tree  wink   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 14 Jul 07 8:07am

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

I'm never sure , do you actually use the leaves off the tree - I have a lemon tree in my garden - could I just pull some off and use them ? How many leaves would you use in say a recipe for four people ? Thanks question

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 15 Jul 07 2:34pm

Hotdog

Occupation Webmaster
From Auckland, NZ

Senga B wrote:

I'm never sure , do you actually use the leaves off the tree - I have a lemon tree in my garden - could I just pull some off and use them ? How many leaves would you use in say a recipe for four people ? Thanks question

I don't think lemon leaves would be a good substitute, unless in an emergency.

As for quantities, really depends on what you're making.  About one leaf per person is a guess.  If I make a paste for a Thai green or red curry to go with half a kilo of meat I'd use about three mid sized leaves.

Last edited by Hotdog (Sun 15 Jul 07 2:35pm)

Likes (0)