Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 20 Aug 07 9:55am

jaseliss

Occupation machinist,musician
From sydney australia
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

the great chilli hunt !!!

greetings,
i wonder if anyone has any really good recipies involving large quantities of chilli,the hotter the better.anything really as long as it is hot and savoury,there is olny so many in the cookbook collection and i have made most of them.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 20 Aug 07 10:10am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Re: the great chilli hunt !!!

Good friends of made this sauce (imbibing in copies bottles of wine at the same time I suspect which accounts for the not-so-accurate directions!), bottled it & gave it away as Xmas presents.  I was one of the lucky ones to receive a jar & the recipe & have used it on & in all sorts of dishes.

Diablo Chilli Sauce

200 - 250gm fresh chillies
1 - 3 cups white vinegar
250 - 300gm squashy tomatoes
1 tablespoon grated ginger
5 peeled garlic cloves
2 - 3 cups sugar

Put everything except the sugar in a saucepan, bring to boil & then simmer until the tomatoes are soft.  Add the sugar & stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved & in suspension.  Puree in blender, pour into hot jars & seal when cool. yummy

If you wish to read their ''funnies'' that go with this gift then let me know!

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 20 Aug 07 10:26am

zippets

Occupation Mum

Another recipe I absolutely loved whilst visiting my brother in Brunei.
I have made this many many times, particularly for dinner parties, & I usually make it in a wok.
I also use tipped chicken wings for this but have used legs as well.
You can cook it beforehand & keep it in the fridge reheating it, covered, in the oven when you need it.
You can also double the recipe or had extra ''bits'', more of some ingredients, less of others, after you try it for the first time so you know its basic taste.

AYAM PERCEK

2 tablespoons oil
3 cups coconut milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 lime leaves
1 inch lengkuas, bruised (optional)
1 kg chicken legs

Spice Paste
4 (or more depending on how hot you like it) fresh red chillies
2 large onions
1 inch fresh ginger
1 stalks lemon grass or large thin peice lemon rind
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
2 teaspoons powdered coriander
1 teaspoon powdered cummin
1 teaspoon powdered turmeric

Make spice paste by grinding together in a mortar & pestle or food processor chillies, onions, ginger, lemon grass, garlic & shrimp paste, adding a little oil if necessary to facilitate blending.  Mix in coriander, cummin & turmeric.
Heat oil in a wok or deep frying pan & gently fry spice paste for about five minutes, stirring from time to time.  Add coconut milk a little at a time, then put in all other ingredients except the chicken & simmer uncovered for 10 miniutes.  Add chicken & cook, turning frequently, until tender & the sauce had dried up a bit.  Chicken can be set aside until grilling.
Heat charcoal fire or normal griller & grill for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
I usually put the chicken into a nice casserole or dish, pour over the sauce & serve it up at the table like this. yummy  yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 20 Aug 07 10:51am

jaseliss

From sydney australia

thank you zippets, i shall try these on the weekend. the diablo sounds great, i might add habenero chillies though to heat it up even further.
is the ayam percek indonesian?
yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 21 Aug 07 5:25am

zippets

Occupation Mum

Yes it is & a seriously yummy dish.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 21 Aug 07 5:43am

Blade Hunter

Occupation Manger of Digital operations @ SonyBMG
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Mon 07 May 07

You would need to find a recipe for a Phal curry. Having only experienced a Phal once in my life I can honeslty say it was painful (but worth it)

http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/faq/oddssods.htm#q2 That tells you the type of people who would enjoy a Phal wink

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 21 Aug 07 8:57am

jaseliss

From sydney australia

thanks blade, going to look into it right now, by the way how painful ?

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 21 Aug 07 9:04am

Blade Hunter

Occupation Manger of Digital operations @ SonyBMG
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Mon 07 May 07

We are talking "Put a toilet roll in the refridgerator for tomorrow morning" type hot smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 21 Aug 07 9:20am

jaseliss

From sydney australia

just looked at website,im am definately the chilli head.years back i was living in kogarah,nsw and was a regular at the indian takeaway there.i asked them to make me four large curries without rice to be picked up next day.(two chicken,one beef,one lamb).i picked them up in afternoon and afer a show that night,about 2am,i reheated part of one of the chicken curries.i must add that i asked the man to make one of the chicken curries as hot as he could.he said:are you sure.of course,i replied,and having served me often he agreed to do so.well,sitting on the lounge early that morning,with light music playing i began with the curry.i had no idea what it was called,any of them for that matter,and just happened to pick the hottest one.i can tell you blade that after about two mouthfulls in i felt my lips swelling,so i got up,went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. MY LIPS WERE PUFFED UP LIKE MICK JAGGER,and i really thought they were going to burst or something,but i was in curry heaven and i have never had one as hot since.i do not know what they used for the heat as when i went back a couple of weeks later the store had changed owners and the new ones couldnt help,just bain marie stuff you know.i do make a very hot chicken vindaloo but it wasnt the same.i hope your phal curry we be similar if i find a recipe for one.
thank you. smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 21 Aug 07 9:24am

jaseliss

From sydney australia

ha,then its definately the one then... crossed

Likes (0)