Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 08 Aug 07 9:52am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Sweetcorn more inventive ideas needed please

This is the recipe I mentioned above - it takes about 10-15 mins to prepare and about 45 mins to cook.

My changes are in italics.

Tray Baked Chicken Maryland
4 chicken breasts, skin removed
4 fresh corn on the cob
1 x 410g tin cannelini or butter beans, drained
2 bananas, peeled
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large 100ml wineglass of white wine substitute verjuice
300 150 ml/10fl oz double cream
55g/2 oz butter
12 rashers of smoked streaky bacon or pancetta I used 4, because of budget and I had small breasts
a handful fresh mint, leaves picked + 1 tb chopped

Preheat oven to 220c/425f/gas 7 and get yourself an appropriately sized roasting tray in which you can snugly fit the breasts side by side.
Run a knife down the sides of the corn to remove the kernals and discard the cobs. Add the kernals to the tray. Using a fork or your fingers squish half the beans and mix along with the remaining cannelini beans. At this time, mix through the tb of chopped mint.

Put the breasts on a chpping board, fold back the small flap of meat on the underside and carefully cut a small pocket on the chicken breast. Squish half a banana into the poket, fold the flap back over to coverthe banan and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Repeat with the remaining breasts.

Place the breasts cut side down on top of the corn mixture. Add the wine and double cream. Then cut the butter into little knobs nd place all over the tray. Drape the bacon rashers over the breasts.

Bake in the oven 35 - 40 minutes until the bacon is crisp. The smokey flavour from the bacon and the flavour of the bananas will have cooked into the chicken and they will taste fantastic.

Serve in the dish at the table with a handful of fresh mint thrown over it and let people help themselves.

*To double this use the same quantities of every thing except use 8 breasts unless your corn cobs are small, than use 6.

*I have tripled this recipe for twelve people, except I only use 8 corn cobs and double the original recipe of cream and wine/verjuice.

Last edited by Cindy (Wed 08 Aug 07 9:53am)

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 14 Aug 07 7:31pm

swarez

Occupation Graphic Designer
From Iceland
Member since Tue 14 Aug 07

I sometimes make creamed corn which is very good with BBQ and roasted Chicken and pork.

Melt some butter in a sauce pan

Rinse the corn and throw it in with small ammount of water with it (if you are using corn from a can don't drain all of the fluid, leave some in)

pour some cream over it and let it sit.

A pinch of salt

A couple of teaspoons of sugar or untill you feel it's sweet enough and a little bit of vanilla, just a little as we don't want it to overpower the rest of the flavors.

Now when the mixture is on the verge of boiling, put in some thickening agent, I use a flour and water mix. Put in just enough to make the liquid slightly thicker and less runny.

Then it should be ready. Good stuff.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 21 Aug 07 9:56am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Soak cobs (with husks) in water for 30 minutes then cook on BBQ (soaking stops the husks burning too quickly).

Likes (0)