forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 22 Sep 07 6:21pm

Valeriea

From ATHENS.GREECE.
Member since Fri 22 Dec 06

SCOUSE RECIPE WANTED PLEASE

Does anyone have a recipe for Scouse the dish from Liverpool they could share.  I have never tasted it but I have heard it is delicious.  Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 22 Sep 07 9:23pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: SCOUSE RECIPE WANTED PLEASE

You might like to take a look at this Wikipedia article:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse_(food)

LOBSCOUSE

INGREDIENTS
Serves 4-6 people

Half a Pound of Stewing Steak
Half a Pound of Lambs Breast
A Large Onion
1lb of Carrots
5lb of Potatoes
2 Oxo Cubes
2 Teaspoons of Vegatable Oil
Worcester Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Water

HOW TO COOK
Takes 4 hours of slow cooking

Cut the meat into large cubes and fry in the vegatable oil until lightly browned all over. You may wish to add some Worcester Sauce at this point for added flavour.

Transfer the meat to a large saucepan and add the onion that should have been chopped into large chunks. Follow this by chopping the carrot into medallions and place this on the meat. Peel and then Finely dice 1lb of the potatoes and place on top of the carrots.

Fill the pan with cold water until it is half full. Break up the Oxo cubes and sprinkle into the water. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Let the pan simmer gently, stirring occasionally. The large pieces of onion will start to break up and the potato will become soft and will make the final sauce thick.

Simmer for a total of two hours, then add the remaining potatoes that should have been peeled and roughly chopped, along with a few splashes of Worcester Sauce. Then simmer for another two hours.

Serve piping hot with red cabbage, beetroot, pickled onions and crusty bread. You may add Ketchup and HP for flavouring.

------------------------------------------

Another version this time from the Scouse restaurant

Scouse

An authentic production of Scouse should allow the spoon to stand straight up in the bowl! For veggies, simply remove the meat from the recipe and cook as normal and you have ‘Blind Scouse’ .
Scouse

900g/2lb neck of lamb, cubed (remove fat first)
450g/1lb stewing or braising steak, cubed (remove fat first)
600ml/1pt beef stock, plus extra hot water for topping up
Oil for frying
3 onions, peeled and sliced
900g/2lb potatoes, peeled and sliced
900g/2lb carrots or parsnips or swede, peeled and cubed (or a mixture)
seasoning to taste
1 tbsp fresh thyme

Serves: 6 People

Preheat the oven to gas 3/325F/170C. Melt a small amount of oil in a large heavy-based pan (or, alternatively, use a metal casserole dish). Seal the lamb and beef cubes quickly in the hot oil, turning often. When the meat begins to brown, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Pour into a casserole and add all other ingredients except the salt. With cheap cuts of meat it’s always best to add the salt towards the end of the cooking time, otherwise it will make the meat too tough. Add enough hot water to just cover all the ingredients. Cover with a lid and cook in the centre of the oven for 4 hours until the vegetables are cooked through and the ingredients are softer and mixed together. Taste, adjust the seasoning.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Sep 07 9:13am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

'Scouse'
Ingredients:

1lb of Lamb or Beef
2 OXO Cubes
1lb Mince
An Onion
A Cabbage
5lb of Potatoes
1lb Carrots
1lb Tomatoes
Cooking directions:

Dice the meat into 1 inch pieces, place in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil
Drain water, rinse meat under running tap, replace into large pan, cover with water again and bring to the boil
Finely chop the onion and stir into the pan with the meat and mince
Shred and dice the cabbage, throw into the pot
Peel the spuds and dice about half of them, throw into the pot
Dice the carrots and other vegies and put them into the pot with the OXO cubes, give a good stir and cover the lot with water
Bring to the boil and turn down heat to simmer, cover with a pan lid and leave to simmer for about 5 hours, stirring the lot every now and then
Dice the remainder of the potatoes, put into pot and leave to simmer for another 2 hours
Can be served with Red Cabbage, Beetroot and Brown Sauce

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 07 Oct 08 6:25pm

skouse

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

This is our family recipe passed to me by my mum (maeve) and to her by my nan. Such is scouse!!! every family has its own version but this is the best of course:

We love to eat Maeve's mum's scouse

Ingredients (to feed 5-6, all quantities approximate)

1 lb lamb neck fillets

1 large onion

4-5 carrots, cut in large chunks

1 small swede, cut in smaller chunks

2-3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into walnut-sized pieces

Small tin of tomatoes

Salt & pepper

Dollop of HP Sauce

Scouse is the deliciously gloopy mush from which Liverpudlians take their nickname. Its origins lie in lobskaus, a Norwegian seamen's dish made of whatever was left in ship's stores at the end of the voyage.

Before the advent of pre-prepared baby foods, most of us were weaned on teaspoonsful of "juice off the scouse". A cup of the same ambrosial liquid was a treat when we came in shivering from school on a winter's afternoon.

Almost every family in our street on Merseyside had its own version of the wonderful stuff. I learned this one from my mum over 50 years ago, and I still make it regularly.

Place all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed pan, adding water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for at least two hours while you go shopping, watch the telly, or get on with writing your novel. Long cooking improves scouse as the potatoes collapse into the liquid and thicken it.

If unexpected visitors turn up, you can add extra potatoes and veg up to half an hour before serving, but don't forget to adjust the seasoning.

Serve with pickled cabbage or beetroot and the best white bread you can find. Any leftovers - a rare event in our house - can be topped with short pastry and baked at gas mark 6 for 30 minutes to make that other great Liverpool classic, scouse pie.
Maeve Middleton

clap  yummy  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 07 Oct 08 6:27pm

katiemarkham

Occupation Housewife, Mother and Allotmenteer
From Wigan
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

I don't think I've ever had scouse cooked from a recipe! My parents are both scousers, from Norris Green, and our scouse was always just made with whatever leftovers we had from our Sunday roast.

Grow, cook, eat, smile smile
    Likes (0)

#6 Tue 07 Oct 08 8:09pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Wow, never knew there is a whole northern European tradition (coming from this English dish) around the northern German "Labskaus" (Pronounced almost like 'lobscouse'...).... The northern German version involves corned beef, pickled herring, and potatoes. They say you either hate it or love it. I have never had it, but am not sure if I really want to either.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 07 Oct 08 8:10pm

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Also if you make the Merseyside version you need to cook it whilst wearing a tracksuit and baseball cap.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 07 Oct 08 9:13pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

lol

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#9 Wed 08 Oct 08 12:12am

Caryl

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

My ex husband was a scouser and I still cook our version. I cook mine in a pressure cooker, ideally the day before .. you can skim the fat off when it's cold for a healthier version then smile

I lob in onions, carrots, parsnip (gives a lovely rich sweet flavour), potato .. sometimes turnip and swede .. all chopped into bite sized chunks. Add cheap cuts of lamb, season well and several Oxo cubes .. for a big pressure cooker I use at least 3 ..  as much water as the pan will take, then pressure cook for 20-30  minutes.

Check flavour and add more Oxo if you want.

His family's recipe demanded a huge amount of rich, sweet gravy and we eat it from bowls smile I never thicken it .. some small cubes of potato will cook down and do the job nicely. Make enough for 2 or 3 days in winter .. each day you heat it through again .. adding a bit more veg or lamb if necessary, and each day it gets richer and thicker as the earlier veggies melt down into the gravy. It just gets better and better smile

A great one dish meal!!

Caryl

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 08 Oct 08 2:57am

Beyond_Indigo

Member since Wed 08 Oct 08

As someone else already said, every family has their own recipe for this!

My family's recipe, passed down from gran to mum to me, is as follows:

(Sorry, I don't really cook with quantities, so I'll just make a list)

* Diced beef
* Potatoes
* Onion
* Carrot (diced)
* Turnip (diced)
* Oxo cubes

In a pan of water, bring the beef to the boil. Pour away the water which will go a bit frothy. Add fresh. Bring to the boil once more and then recude to a simmer. Add all your veggies. Crumble in 2 oxo cubes. Allow to simmer for at least 5 hours. It tastes even better the next day.

Serve with hot, crusty, buttered bread for soaking up all the gravy. Beautiful hearty English cold-weather fare.  smile

Likes (0)