forum: Food & Drink

#1 Mon 12 Nov 07 3:35am

carolaBR

Member since Mon 12 Nov 07

help for cooking rabbit

Looking for rabbit recipes  I found a good one at The naked chef (translated to portuguese).  In that recipe, the cooking time is about 16 minutes. In other recipes, I found more than 1 hour cooking. As I never heard about the time needed to cook the rabbit, I'm not sure if the translation of Jamie's recipe is right. Can anyone help me? How long should I cook the rabbit?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 Nov 07 5:55am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: help for cooking rabbit

Here is a link to a number of Rabbit recipes, cooked in various styles.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=rabbit+

I normally cook mine by browning in a little olive oil with salt and pepper and, sliced onions and thyme. Remove and deglaze with white wine, return to pan and add chicken stock, carrots, leeks, assorted vegs, and cover and cook until meat is tender, reduce and add  mushrooms,cream and chopped parsley, correct seasoning and serve.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Nov 07 6:48am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Roast Rabbit Italian style

This is extracted from Jamie's recipe for a mixed Italian style roast at :-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15635479/

INGREDIENTS

For the rabbit
• 14 thin strips of pancetta
• olive oil
• 1 medium-sized rabbit, skinned
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary

For the rabbit stuffing
• 2 Italian or Cumberland sausages
• a handful of breadcrumbs
• zest of 1/2 an orange
• a pinch of nutmeg
• 1 dried red chili, crumbled
• a small bunch of fresh sage, leaves picked and finely chopped

DIRECTIONS

For the rabbit and the rabbit stuffing
Preheat your oven to 375°F.  Lay the slices of pancetta out on a sheet of oiled waxed paper so they are side by side and slightly overlapping, then place in the fridge.

Rub the rabbit with oil and season with salt and pepper.  You now need to make the stuffing, so score the skin of the sausages and remove the meat from the skins.  Place the meat in a bowl with the breadcrumbs, orange zest, nutmeg, dried chili, and sage.  Season with a little pepper, mix it all together well, and stuff it inside the belly cavity of the rabbit.

Take the pancetta out of the fridge and wrap the waxed paper- pancetta side down- round the belly of the rabbit.  Carefully peel the paper off, so the pancetta is left wrapped around the rabbit.  Lay the sprigs of rosemary over the pancetta, then tie the rabbit belly in a couple of places, using string to keep the stuffing in place.  Place the rabbit in a roasting pan and cook in the preheated oven for an hour.  Halfway through, add any extra orange halves, pieces of pancetta, or sprigs of herbs to the pan, the baste the meat and return it to the oven.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Nov 07 9:42pm

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

Hi - I used to cook rabbit at least once a month when I worked part-time and could get to the farmers' market.  This is my very fave recipe - the sauce is to die for!  It's from www.thefoody.com

Rabbit Stew

2kg (4lb) Rabbit, jointed
285ml (½ pint) Chicken Stock
140ml (¼ pint) White Wine
2 tbsp Seasoned Flour
55g (2oz) Butter
1 Garlic Clove
1 Bouquet Garni
2 tbsp Double Cream
1 tbsp Parsley
2 tsp Cornflour
2 tsp Tomato Purée
Parsley
Salt and Pepper

Coat the rabbit joints in seasoned flour and fry in butter in a flameproof casserole, browning on all sides.
Add the stock, wine and tomato purée, bring to the boil.
Add the bouquet garni, crushed garlic and season to taste.
Reduce the heat and cook gently for 1½ - 2 hours or until the rabbit is tender.
Transfer the rabbit to a serving dish, keep warm.
Transfer the sauce to a saucepan, removing the bouquet garni
Mix the cream and cornflour together, and stir into the sauce until thickened.
Pour sauce over rabbit and garnish with parsley.

Haven't had it for months but now have a rabbit in my freezer after a trip to Bolton market on saturday - this is what I'll be making with it!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 05 Dec 07 3:08pm

carolaBR

Member since Mon 12 Nov 07

Thank you guys! smile

Likes (0)