#21 Sun 02 Dec 07 5:56pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: jamies nans christmas pud

Ah Hadleigh - good to see someone values tradition smile

I'm not cooking puds myself this year - my eldest daughter is this years designated pudding maker, while my youngest is doing tge mincemeat for the mince pies.

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 02 Dec 07 9:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My sister has sent me her version of my fathers christmas pudding.

My sister has sent me her version of my fathers christmas pudding, unfortunatly mine is still inacessable as we have boxed a lot of things up for decorating and as usuall are still not organised a month after the decorating has finished!!!!
My father was a wonderfull man and he had a passion for food, he originally got the recipe from a magazine and I beleive that it had originated a recipe by Micheal Berry, but I might be wrong there.
My sister has changed this recipe a little .

In my sisters version she boils the orange and lemon and then she 'blitz's' them in a food processor , I do not do this I simply use the grated zest and juices from the fruit .

She also chops the dried fruits in a food processor, I do not do this I chop them roughly by hand as I like the texture of slightly chunkier pieces .

I also notice that she only simmers the puddings for 3 hours as she feels that is long enough.. I simmer my pudding for longer(5 hours aprox, depending on the size of the pudding) so that it is fine kept on the shelf in a cool dry enviroment.

It is an interesting recipe, not as sweet as some and it does not have much flour in it, instead it has a large quantity of bread crumbs.

I do not like currants and so I make up the quantity with things like dried cranberries, dried cherries and sultanas. (very tasty!)

I have never tried making a gluten free version so I have no idea what it would turn out like, my sister seems to have worked something out and added so gluten free options to the recipe. This is not part of the original recipe that my father had.

This is the recipe that she sent me.........

Osc's christmas pudding
               (The best christmas pud recipe ever!!)

To make 1 x 2 1/2pt Pudding Bowl

Ingredients

14oz soft breadcrumbs .....( gluten free substitute ground almonds)
2 oz plain flour ................(gluten free substitute polenta)
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground allspice
4oz melted butter
3-4oz grated cooking apple
2oz grated carrot
6oz currants
6oz sultanas
11ozseeded raisins
3oz dried apricots (chopped)
2 oz dried prunes (chopped)
4 oz finely chopped mixed peel
3 oz glace cherries quartered
4oz blanched almonds finely chopped
1 lemon
1 oranges
1 tablespoon black treacle
2 large eggs
Generous glug of  brandy
½ pt Guinness
Optional: add 2oz chopped figs and/or pecan nuts

Method:
1. Boil the whole lemon and oranges in a pan until soft and squidgy. Drain and blitz the whole fruits in a processor until pulped.

2. When preparing things like the cherries/mixed peel, prunes/apricots and figs, if you are using them. I  save time and put them in the processor and give them a short blitz. I find that this gives the pudding quite a nice texture and saves time fiddling around cutting all the stuff up finely.

2. Mix all the other ingredients together, add the lemon and orange mix, pour in the brandy and Guinness, cover and allow to stand overnight in the fridge.

3. Fill your pudding bowls.

4. Cover with greaseproof paper  circles on the top of the pudding mix and then cover the bowl with foil or greaseproof. Tie with sting if you wish.

5. Steam for approx 3 hours. The original recipe states it should be steamed for 5-6 hours  but I don’t do this. I believe 3 hours is ample time for the pudding to be cooked through and I steam for less time for smaller puddings.

6. After the pudding has cooled, change the greaseproof top. Reseal with foil and store in fridge until needed.

7. You may like to add a little more brandy to it before you use it as this helps keep it moist and of course adds to the flavour.

8. Cook on XmasDay for 2 hrs. If you have a slow cooker you can put it on the night before and it will be ready for when you need it. This also saves on cooking ring space.

9. You are able to microwave it but beware, my Dad did so and because he had put so much brandy in, it caught fire!!

10 Enjoy with brandy butter, fresh whipped cream or brandy sauce. 

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 03 Dec 07 9:33pm

Dan of Kent

Occupation Print Sales
From Kent
Member since Mon 03 Dec 07

mummza wrote:

Osc's christmas pudding
               (The best christmas pud recipe ever!!)

This looks a really good recipe. If you are following the gluten free route, you will have to omit the Guinness.  You can buy gluten free ale in most supermarkets, so this may well make an acceptable substitute.  Shop bought mixed peel may also be a problem as they can contain gluten.

Thanks for the comments to this.  I have tried this recipe using 1/3 gluten free breadcrumbs to 2/3 ground almonds, gluten free flour and gluten free beer.  The mixture was enough to fill 1 x 1.5pt pudding bowl, 1 x 1pt pudding bowl with enough left over for a small bowl.  I steamed the small pudding on Sunday to see how it turned out and it was fab, quite light and really fruity. Thanks very much for an excellent recipe!

Last edited by Dan of Kent (Tue 11 Dec 07 9:08pm)

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 06 Dec 07 12:01am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forum Dan of Kent ,
I  had never thought about guinness having gluten in it before. I have to admit that I have never realy thought about it.

I am also suprised about the peel having gluten in, I never knew that either.
I only ever buy the whole pieces of candied peel (never the cheaper chopped stuff  puke ) ,the taste is generally fairly good and it has a better texture.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 06 Dec 07 12:01pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I recently noticed that sometimes when you buy dried or candied fruit they add stuff to keep them from sticking together too much. Often rice flour.

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 09 Dec 07 10:05am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I bought some candied peel yesterday,( I bought it from a place called Julian Graves , www.juliangraves.co.uk ) , It tells me on the pack that it is... Dairy Free. Wheat Free , Gluten Free, Vegan and also vegetarian.
The peel that I bought was large slices of candied peel that you chop yourself, rather than the mass produced chopped variety that you see in most supermarkets.

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 09 Dec 07 10:05pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

i made my fruit bread today and I ended up chopping the prechopped peel again anyways. I think the pieces are too big to be pleasant to bite on them. Am not too fond of the candied peel in general, but if I leave it out, the result is not the same. So I chop it very small to have the flavor without the unpleasant texture and the too-much-at-once effect wink

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 04 Dec 12 11:18am

lushangle

Member since Tue 04 Dec 12

hi guys ! Just wanted to say i have made the pudding in advance and it didnt keep very well :-( !!! So u really dont need to make it in advance !!!! I have made it a few weeks before christmas and it was perfect !!! Its the best christmas pudding recipe EVER !! Lol We love it in my house yet they hate any other christmas pudding lol !!!! I make it every year have done for long time now !! The 1st time i saw the recipe on the tv i ordered the dvd lol !!!! Hope you and your familys enjoy it as much as mine do !! Merry christmas to u and happy new year xxxxx

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 16 Dec 12 10:44pm

Rosiehalls

Member since Sun 16 Dec 12

I have this recipe on DVD and Jamie makes it on Xmas eve
but also says it can be made a week in advance. It is not a typical
Xmas pudding recipe but is the best I have ever tasted. It is also no
where near as heavy as traditional pudding that leave you feeling like
you have eaten a brick....... Hope this helps. Merry Christmas to you all  big_smile

Likes (0)