Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jan 08 1:48pm

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

Hi,

Jamie's show is airing on Channel 4 on the 11th of Jan at 9pm. Jamie will be raising challenging questions about chicken welfare and most importantly what we as consumers are willing to pay for quality food. Have a look at the website - http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamiesfowldinners

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall guest stars and is running a chicken out campaign - http://www.chickenout.tv/

Hugh's campaign and TV series (called Hugh's Chicken Run - airing on C4, 8th, 9th and 10th of Jan at 9pm) explores how shocking intensive chicken farming can be.

Check out the site and pledge your support for Hugh's campaign. Look foward to hearing your thoughts on the issue.

Regards

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 06 Jan 08 11:39pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

I am pleased that this issue is being raised, some years ago I lived in a town that had a chicken factory.
It was horrible seeing all the lorries piled high with crates crammed full of chickens being taken through the town on their way to the factory.
You didn't want to get 'down wind' of the trucks either ,as they were rather smelly .

It was shocking .

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 07 Jan 08 8:13am

Buffie

Occupation ED Therapist, Life Coach,Consumer Research Co-ordinator for BHWT
From North Bucks
Member since Fri 14 Dec 07

The Battery Hen Welfare Trust will feature in the programme on Friday. If you want to find out more about the plight of the battery hen, how you can help bring a hen from her cage, support us and make a huge difference with just your shopping basket:

www.bhwt.org.uk

smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 07 Jan 08 1:40pm

Poet

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

What Jamie and Hugh are doing is fantastic! 

All living creatures deserve to be free from cruelty and neglect.  It's about time we all cared about and respected the welfare of the animals we put on our plate. 

There will be many people who just don't care and have no empathy with these poor creatures.  I just hope the message hits home to those who do care, but are just unaware of the miserable existence these birds have.

Please watch, listen and then do something about the food choices you make!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 07 Jan 08 6:50pm

chixgbsdg

As a proffesional poultry farmer who has been raising chickens for meat for 40 years, I just want to make sure the balance of what Jamie and Hugh are trying to achieve is kept in balance.

One comment from Mummza mentioned the chicken factory. All classes of chicken go to these factories whether they are free range, intensive or organic.

Poet mentions care and neglect. As a farmer, the welfare of my birds is upermost in my mind. If I was cruel to them or they suffered, they wouldn't perform efficiently for me. I have seen organic birds in filthy conditions in wet and windy weather, whilst mine are very comfortable in conditions that you and I would prefer, i.e. enjoying the correct room temperature, well ventilated and with a nice warm bed. You cannot say that for the organic birds except for the ideal weather. Remember, chicken are jungle fowl by birth!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 07 Jan 08 7:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

welcome to the forums chixgbdg  smile

Its good thet you have joined the discussions as you are able to give a different scope to things .

I agree with you saying that not all free renge birds are well kept. I think that the tern 'free range' is used very loosly .
The words 'free range ' and barn  conjour-up pictures of happy chickens in lovely enviroments in a shoppers mind.
I realsie that this is not always the case. some 'free range' and 'barn ' chickens exist in poor conditions , whilst others in a different establishment might be better kept.

Last edited by mummza (Mon 07 Jan 08 8:20pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 08 Jan 08 11:33am

nicolesa

Member since Tue 08 Jan 08

It's people's ignorance that angers me so much.  Being a vegan I frequently have tenous arguments thrown in my face by people who quite obviously do not have a clue about what they're trying to argue.  If everyone knew what I knew I guarantee turning vegan would be the easiest decision of their lives.  Poeple prefer to live in blissful ignorance, and that's the worst type of meat eater; the one who has no idea about how their food reached their plate.  My friend actually cried last night when we were watching Hugh's Chicken Run because she's been so brainwashed since birth to believe that every farm is like the film Babe.  She honestly had no idea about how factory farming is done.

I think these types of programmes are great about increasing awareness, if it wasn't for these types of programmes, my sister, both my parents and my boyfriend would not have turned vegetarian.  But I'm afraid they still don't show the true picture of what actually goes in in these factories.  In no way have they even come close to depicting the true suffering and unbelievable torture animals are subjected to.  Turning people to free range meat harldy solves the problem at all.  All free range means is that the birds are given an extra few feet added on top of some grass and most of them are so desperate to get outside they often crush each other in the struggle for some fresh air.

To believe a human life is more superior to that of animals is ridiculously arrogant and incredibly selfish.  I don't believe anyone has the right to eat meat until they see how it's made.  I would more than happily visit a vegetable famr or a factory which makes bread and rice, but to visit various slaughterhouses and still consume meat and dairy?  I'm afraid my conscience wont allow it.  I respect life too much.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

nicolesa wrote:

I don't believe anyone has the right to eat meat until they see how it's made.
I would more than happily visit a vegetable famr or a factory which makes bread and rice, but to visit various slaughterhouses and still consume meat and dairy?  I'm afraid my conscience wont allow it.  I respect life too much.

Of course nicolesa, EVERYONE would be happier visiting a vegetable farm than a slaughter house !

I too respect life , however, human beings have evolved to eat meat , we know this because of the type of teeth that we have in our mouths.

I also beleive that everyone has the right to chose wether they are frutarian, vegetarian, vegan etc.
In my mind it is always good to know where the food on the table has come from but in no way would I insist that it be a 'right of passage' to see how the meat on the plate got to be there.
What you are suggesting , as I read it , is that all meat eaters should visit a slaughter house before they eat meat...sorry I do not agree with this at all.... for a start ...have you thought  about all the contamination of meat product that that would cause  shocked ,all the bugs that visitors would introduce to the foodchain and visa-versa.
When my childern were small ,I  never avoided the discussion topic of where the lamb, pork , beef , chicken etc on the plate came from.
We lived near a 'cattle market' and would make weekly visits on market day , visiting the animals as well as buying other produce. We would also buy meat on these visits.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:21pm

Poet

mummza wrote:

I too respect life , however, human beings have evolved to eat meat , we know this because of the type of teeth that we have in our mouths.

evolved is the key word there I think.  We also used to walk on all fours, doesn't mean we should carry on doing so.

I'm not a vegan, although I wish I was.  I've been brought up on meat and dairy products and love them.  It would take a serious rehab to get me to change my ways.  I do however make the free range choice where meat is concerned and we have our own chickens for eggs.

My point is, you can't say that just because we have canine teeth, that we should behave like dogs.

Last edited by Poet (Tue 08 Jan 08 5:22pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I have never and would never suggest that we should behave like dogs. shocked

I also did not state any prefrence in my meat shopping habits.

I too would like to keep chicken but I feel that my tiny garden is inadequate for the purpous.  I realise that chickens can be kept in small spaces but I for one would not do that and so ..no chickens.

Likes (0)